HybridZ

plz help me identify my car!!!

Guest stretch

Guest stretch

hey im new so just take me as a noob if ya want. the situation is i have what is definitely a 79 280zx (non turbo) that is rated at 170bhp. i was sure that they where rated at somewhere btwn 130 and 140 and the turbo model of late was rated at 180 can anyone please help me find out what is going on? oh i will put some pictures on some time in the future when the restoration is a little neater. oh car goes and absolutely hammers. im in aus by the way so its a right hand drive. if that makes a difference.

Guest stretch

yeah but its stocko from factory and its 170bhp on the plate not modified at all internally or bolt on mods all stock....

yeah but its stocko from factory and its 170bhp on the plate not modified at all internally or bolt on mods all stock....

You have a plate in the car that says it has 170 HP?

I'm pretty sure the 79-80 non turbos were all in the 130 HP range until the Turbo came along in 81?

yah, but all the plates listed gross horsepower, thats 170 flywheel horsepower and the 130 hp figure is the RWHP number. Its all in the wiki, that was a great answer.

EDIT

It USED to be in the wiki! IIRC there was a small subsection in the article that pointed out the engine plate with the 170 hp rating and explained the confusion that always causes... but I just skimmed the relevant wikipedia articles (the one linked, and S30, and Z-car) and didn't see the section I thought I remembered.

Guest stretch

yeah they are ive actuallly got a film of me doing burnouts in it when i first got it and its just effortless no weight in the back and a fair bit of tourque just makes it so easy its actually an auto shortly to be rectified and swapped for a manual but still it goes really well. i got it for 700 australian dollars and all it needs is new hoses in the engine bay 70 dollars and a little body bog and paint and a new windscreen... i thought that was alright.