HybridZ

280ZXT Normal operating temp?

Gavin

What temp does a S130 ZXT reach (when measured from below the thermostat)? According to my MS with a GM CLT mine peaks at 205 deg on this unusually hot 95 degree day here in MA. I understand that this is on the hot side of the engine, but my stock N47 L28 engine with MS doesn't break 185 on the dyno, measured from the same place.

Would you guys say its running abnormally hot?

Hmm. Do you have the AC condenser installed? I also have an FMIC and oil cooler v-mounted in front of everything. I have a pusher fan from Summit and a Perma-Cool puller. Dont remember the dimensions off hand.

intercooler.jpg

fan.jpg

The thermostat was recently replaced, but I could change it out for a colder one. Could it be my water pump? I installed a new one when I put the solid lifter engine in and it seemed cheaper then the one I took off. The impeller on the new one was not cast but instead basically cut and shaped from a sheet of metal.

Im trying to get this thing ready for an upcoming track day. It cools down running at speed in clean air, though. Even on the power. So I have high hopes.

That's definitely far too hot, if you have a 180* thermostat. With a 3-row copper radiator, I'd run about 170* with a 160* thermostat. With my aluminum radiator, I run at 163-165* with a 160* thermostat and about 175* with a 180* thermostat (yes, it would fully shut at cruise).

Edit: Just re-read your last post. Ditch that stamped water pump and get a real one with a cast impeller.

I found that when my engine reaches peak temp (still almost 200 on a more normal day), coolant pressure is low. When I first warm it up the hose is nice and firm but after driving for a long period theres almost no pressure and I can open the cap with it overheated.

So, looks like its weeping from somewhere, less you guys have another idea.

Please dont suggest its the head gasket, because I know it could be,

And the engine only has 20k miles...

Ugh.....

I am actually just assuming I am loosing coolant. I suppose it could be leaking back into the res from the cap, but thats new as well. I've had a hard time keeping track as I have been pulling apart the cooling system trying to find a leak. I'll monitor that more closely.

I don't think I have a blown head gasket because no its not smoking and the coolant looks good.

EDIT - Whoa.. Or could it be overheating, vomiting steam into the res and therefore appearing to loose pressure? maybe

There's still alot of stuff I'm not sure about, but if you've got a cheapo water pump, I'd wager that it could cause issues. Maybe not provide enough pressure to circulate the coolant as well as it should? I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with overheating issues on my 280ZXT, but my old 300ZX had overheating issues which turned out to be the radiator. Ended up replacing hoses, thermostat, radiator, and water pump trying to fix it.