HybridZ

Z Car Parts Index

rudypoochris

For a long time I have been thinking that it would be really useful to have a database full of Z Car specific modifications and parts information. I proposed the idea way back in this thread (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114240&highlight=parts+index).

Well, I have finally done it. I made a Wiki (similar to wikipedia.org in construction and concept). The idea is that anyone with Z knowledge can create an account and edit information about specific parts, modifications, etc. That way if someone is wondering what the available R200 ratios are, what the spline count is on a stub axle, what aftermarket brake upgrades there are.... etc. They can search it and then contribute if they know something others may not.

I am hoping that this will become a very useful tool specifically aimed at the HybridZ community. Please do check it out and give me some feedback. The success of such a tool really rests on those who use and contribute to it. Please do contribute, it is much appreciated! If you need assistance using the software, feel free to email me at admin@zcarpartsindex.com or alternatively just PM me. Thanks guys! :)

Here is the main page:

www.zcarpartsindex.com

Right now there is not very much information, but there really is no limit, beyond the users themselves, to what can be added. Here are a couple pages worth looking at for now:

http://zcarpartsindex.com/index.php?title=Nissan_L_Engine

http://zcarpartsindex.com/index.php?title=Differential_List

http://zcarpartsindex.com/index.php?title=Stub_Axle_and_Companion_Flange

Looks good, but Id think it would be cool to add which heads can fit which motor with what modification, what is the resulting compression, good/bad swap, etc.

I agree. You can add that information if you like. Simply create an account or log in at the top right. Then the "edit" feature will become available to you. :)

Mopar/challenger - You'll notice a link at the bottom of the nissan L engine page that brings you to an engine calculator. You can use that to check the specs of various setups.

I was the one who constructed the base data for that page and I didn't include information like that because I wanted to keep the data clean, and add info as people request it. No sense in cluttering up these pages with info that nobody wants.

If you want a quick and dirty cheat sheet though here ya go.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/128combo.html

I'll put some stuff in there soon... I have a couple theoretical builds that I'll put in there too.

Stuff like my L26 when I got it... L24 flat-top pistons are a direct swap-out and raise compression by about a point.

Also swapped from a C cam to a L24E cam and could barely notice a difference. Maybe 5% more mid-range power but 10%-15% loss in top end...

Maybe we can copy some info out of the stickys here?

olderthanme - I agree. I was really hoping we'd be able to get people who were involved with the creation of stickies to contribute the same information. I think probably any of the sticky information is worth mention, but I don't think many of us, if any, are well versed in knowledge enough to deeply cover ALL the stickies on this site.

Me and chris put all the information on that site together in just about 2-3 weeks I think. If just 20 people were as dedicated as we've been (which isn't much, about 10 hours a week max) then we'd have most of the essential Z car data gathered pretty quick.

Just out of curiostity, given years and tons of members arn't you guys just creating another HybridZ?

The only way that site will be (should I dare?) "better" is if you mabey clone some of the great dictators to admin the site.

I can see a consolidation of information but the variables are endless. Saying "no" to people wil start to become a full time job.

Summerizing HybridZ would be fantastic in the short run but after years of contrabutions, (like half of all the lame ones I post), will just bog down any site. No?:)

I think it'll help if you think about it and discern the difference between database and forum. You should know these concepts well considering your field and you're a bright man.

Hybridz is based on the framework of a forum, and it works for what it's intended. But they're got such a catalog of information it can be hard to find what you're looking for.

The zcarpartsindex page is designed around a database design, so that information is readily availble.

There's a much lower likelyhood of attracting people that just want to "chat" or are casual car people trying to contribute information. Because there's no use for it other than just sharing information, we should attract the right type of people and hopefully information will be pretty accurate.

We don't have to worry about people posted 100 pages on what solid rear axle they need in their Z so they don't break "the weak IRS"... We only need a single page on the topic and it's done. It's closed for life. The only time it needs to be changed is if information keeps continuing, information is wrong, or someone has some insight to add.

It WILL need to be closely moderated, and I can tell you right now that some of the info I put on the L engine page is wrong, but I'm waiting for someone who knows more than me to come and correct it. But that's the beauty of this, is that it's organic and can be searched easily and sorted cleanly.

No matter how well we learn to search hybridZ, it's just not a catalog of information like we want it to be.

Does that mean hybridZ won't have a purpose? That's not the case at all. This place should still continue doing what it does best, bringing smart intellectual people together to share ideas and projects so that we might all learn from them.

I think it'll help if you think about it and discern the difference between database and forum. You should know these concepts well considering your field and you're a bright man.

:ugg:< This me when posting!

I do understand and do hope to use it as a tool in the future. You guys are very smart and it will be curious to see how your endevors pay out in the future!

Remember, :ugg:! Peace.

Just out of curiostity, given years and tons of members arn't you guys just creating another HybridZ?

The only way that site will be (should I dare?) "better" is if you mabey clone some of the great dictators to admin the site.

I can see a consolidation of information but the variables are endless. Saying "no" to people wil start to become a full time job.

Summerizing HybridZ would be fantastic in the short run but after years of contrabutions, (like half of all the lame ones I post), will just bog down any site. No?:)

Nope. Not trying to create a HybridZ at all. Mainly just trying to make a huge index of Z Car information with out discussion, with out repetition, with out anything but fact really. There are no questions in the parts index.

It doesn't need to be 'better' than HybridZ. It cannot be 'better' than HybridZ. It is not intended to be a forum like HybridZ or to compete with HBZ in anyway. There is no discussion other than talk over whether or not the information is accurate or in need of editing, and that is seen only in the background. The basic concept is that it is more of an extension of HybridZ. It is a parts database - an index. Hopefully it will be filled with specifications, CAD drawings, and raw information about parts, their interchangeability, etc. Written not in loose speak with enough information that the person knows how to interpret the data, followed by charts, drawings, photos, etc.

I am not worried about saying 'no to people'. Anyone can revert edits and deletions. If someone is causing real trouble and molesting the site, I and persons who have demonstrated their responsibility can simply remove the user and revert the data.

Once again, the point is not to summarize HybridZ. The concept is to gleen information from a multiple of sources (at this point the majority of the stuff I have added was actually not sourced off HybridZ... although it could with enough searching); including forums such as HBZ, but mainly off of real experience with the parts. That is the information that is truly valuable. How long is a control arm, center to center. That sort of stuff. Simply measuring parts will be a large part of what I intend to eventually contribute. Bolt patterns, weight, interchangeability, etc. As an engineering student I have many a time found this data useful, yet unavailable or difficult to obtain.

You get stuff to put on the zcarindex from threads here. Without HBZ you wouldnt have all the info to condense.

Some of it is from HBZ. I do not understand the point of that comment? With out what I have learned in school I would not be able to work. So? Everything is linked together.

We are not trying to compete with HybridZ in any way. Actually not trying to compete with anyone... its just a place to put raw information. Discussions, such as this won't exist there. It is literally a parts index. It can survive with out HybridZ just as HybridZ can survive with out it. Neither can survive with out sources of information, viewers, and contributors.

I do understand and do hope to use it as a tool in the future. You guys are very smart and it will be curious to see how your endevors pay out in the future!

Thank you! :)

I hope you, as well as anyone else, help make it a better tool in the future as well. I only know so much. Realistically I have typed the majority of what I KNOW about Z parts. I know very little about the suspension design, brakes, etc. Someone else with that kind of knowledge will eventually have to contribute it if it is to be made available.

I was just saying that it wouldnt be taking away from HBZ because HBZ would provide alot of its information.

Thats true. It would not be taking from away from HybridZ. It is merely an additional tool in the Z car enthusiasts arsenal. :)

In an attempt to better provide content, I have also created a "Page Requests" feature. This is basically just a page, here, that you can type what you would like information on. If I know about it, or if someone else does, they can feel free to create a new article.