HybridZ

Swapping a LSD Unit into a R200

Danno74Z

Yes, it can be done. Backlash on a hypoid gear set is usually between .003 and .008 it can be checked with a magnetic base and a dial indicator (less than $30 from somebody like Enco or MSC) A set of differential shims can be purchased from someone like Reider Racing for about $25. The most special tool you need for diff work is a pinion depth checker which is not needed if not pulling the pinion. Bearing separators and a press are also necessary is completely disassembling the rear. I have not done an R200 yet, but have done nearly 20 different Dana 44, 12 bolt GM and 10 bolt GM diffs.

I have two R200 differentials one open the other a LSD. The LSD unit has quite a bit of backlash while turning the pinion back and forth and I have no idea if this is normal or not. On my open R200 while doing the same test there is no noticeable "slop" at all. First, Can this backlash be eliminated from the LSD unit if this is not normal and second, how hard is it to remove the LSD unit from one diff. and put it in the good one. Can this be accomplished by the do-it-yourselfer without a ton of special tools.