HybridZ

Distributor cap difference?

I just gave my 280Z a tune up, and surprise surprise, no more starting. At first I put the wires in the wrong order, so it misfired. Realizing this, I switched back to the proper order, and at this point all it does is crank to some ridiculous extent. It has fuel, air, and spark. My current guess is that the replacement distributor cap is the culprit, since the original looked like this:

dist.jpg

and the replacement looks like this:

DSCF4275a.jpg

I'd think that maybe timing is now off by some 15 or so degrees because of the new cap (which is the only replacement I've been able to find) and is the source of my dilemma. I'm dying here guys. It's been an entire week without a car. :( Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

ive got an interesting situation that relates to this. my plug wires are in the right order but are shifted one spot on the cap counter clockwise. the car runs this way but its running like crap with a hesitation, back fire when applying throttle just after start up and to top it off im pretty sure its running rich. i tried changing the wires to the correct possitions (back clockwise one spot) but the motor wouldnt fire. now i know its the timing (duh) but what i dont know is why it runs the way it does and how to fix it. any help is greatly appreciated!

Z distributor caps have 2 plastic tabs on the inside designed so that (in theory) there is only 1 way to install the cap. When it's properly installed you won't be able to twist it, and it won't rock side to side. I suspect that either the old or the new cap wasn't properly seated (cap was rotated away from the proper orientation) and hence your timing is now off.

I'd start by reinstalling the new cap and making sure that it is properly seated. Once you're sure about that, you may then have to retime it as naviathan suggests. But that's only if the old cap wasn't properly seated.

BTW, it's really hard to get the clips on when the cap isn't seated properly. That's a good clue to stop and reseat it :)

funny thing is is that the clips are on and go on without any problem. also ive read that the caps have a raised marking for the plug for cyl #1 which mine does have and is pointing to the front of the car. only thing is is that currently the wire for cyl #1 is on the next seat counter clockwise. im guessing that someone previously put the distributor in wrong (i just bought the car 3 weeks ago). arg i cant wait to save up enough for a swap =/

thanks for the help