HybridZ

HELP PLEASE LOOK AT THIS ONE!!!! Please car is not running right now

Guest kjvildal

Guest kjvildal

1981ZX blew a header gasket. After rebuilding the engine and replacing the gasket we must have missed something in the re-assembly.

Car starts

Car will idle smoothly

The minute you put your foot to the acellerator the car runs SOOOO rough and putts and spits (sounds like a propeller plane taking off)

Car will roll and run a little without giving gas with the pedal, but you give it gas it goes very slow and sounds like it is preparing for take-off)

One thing missing right now is the EGR pipe - it broke but I don't think that is the main problem

Thank you for your input

Guest n3mi5y5

it blew the head gasket? im not sure what you mean by header gasket.... the only thing that i could think of that could be wrong is you didnt torque it down good enough, or there was some residue leftover from the previous gasket... usually when you replace the head gasket its a good idea to take the head to a machine shop to get decked and then reinstall.

Check your firing order. If the plug wires are wrong, then most likely the dizzy is off alignment too.

I had a friends dad do the same thing once. It was actually really crazy how he swapped wires until it ran. When I told him the firing order, he fixed that and then tried starting the car (after I said not too).

It made the loudest back fire Ive ever heard.

So double check all your timing before hooking up your injector clips, it will save you lots of trouble.

As for the EGR cap it off first or hook it up.

I'm assuming he meant the exhaust manifold gasket as well. Since he said it sounds like a propeller plane. When my exhaust manifold gasket was leaking, I always described it as a ticking that sounded like a Harley or something.

Is the car a turbo? If your EGR tube is broken that will affect it. Basically the car will start and idle smoothly because the BCDD or VCM depending on car prevents the EGR from opening. Then once you start to rev it, the thing will allow the EGR to open and start causing a huge vacuum leak. Try removing the vacuum line from the EGR valve on the manifold and just plugging that line off, and see if that helps. The leaking manifold gasket I don't think makes too much difference. Or at least it didn't make much difference on my leaking or fixed. It still ran the same for me, but I was happy knowing that it and the broken stud were fixed.