HybridZ

What should I swap where?

Ok, I'm quoting my own projects page, so you dont have to click a link:

"Well after about a 4 years of hoping to get a Z, I finally traded an old Subaru wagon for 3 S30 z-cars. One is an early '71 240, and the other two are 280s. The 240 has a stroked 280 motor in it that runs, but has a blown head gasket and therefore leaks coolant. It has a 5 speed and an R200 LS diff. The bad: it has plenty of front end damage and a bent front frame rail due to a recent accident. However, the car is great from the firewall back; interior is fine, body is sound, no rust anywhere. One of the 280s is a '76 in decent shape. It has a good body, minor rust in the usual places. It has a good motor, but the fuel injection is not working. The other 280, I dont know too much about yet, it was kinda just added to the deal for free and I haven't even seen it yet. All I know is that its a 78, and that it has been sitting in a field for a couple years, and it has no motor. Out of the deal, I'm also getting plenty of spare parts, a few intake manifolds, several good heads, one cracked head, an extra engine, a triple Weber setup, and other misc crap."

So, out of that bit of info, what do you think would be the best way to get one good car? So far, I've been thinking that because of the frame damage, I should strip the 240 for all its worth: pull the carbs off the 240 and throw them on the 280 that has the bad fuel injection. Then pull and rebuild the motor that's in the 240, and the 5 speed trans, remove the whole interior, glass, everything. Then cut off panels from the shell to repair the 280. And then send what's left to the scrap yard. The other free 280, depending on its condition, will either be another parts car or maybe I'll get it running and sell it. What do you think??

the 240 might yet be desirable to someone....

I would build your 76, keep your spare parts, and (if the front of it is worth it) try to sell the 78 and the 71 together to someone with the intent of making one solid car out of two. A rust-free 240Z is something to be desired.. just don't expect much $$ for the two cars. Depending on what your buyer wants, it sounds like you can get him a mostly complete car from the spare parts without hurting your own stash of spares.

What kind of soobie, EA82?? I drive an 87 GL-10 sedan :D