HybridZ

Drive-by-wire, DbW, x-by-wire

Dont know if this is going to help you much, but I am facing the same issue with another project. I am swapping an '04 LM4 (all-aluminum 5.3L) into a '98 Sonoma Stepside. The donor vehicle was BDW and been advised by everyone to use it. I got the pedal from the donor vehicle (Trailblazer SUV) and will have to find a way to mount it. Problem is, the pedal is HUGE and will have to cut and weld on it and need to do that w/o damaging the electonics on it.

Bottom line is, you just need to find a way to mount the DBW pedal in the Z. For sure that means removing the seat and steering wheel and made even easier if the dash can be removed.

The pedal from the GTO went up into the Z pretty easy. I had to experiment with spacers behind it to get it the same distance from the floor as the original pedal, but it was pretty easy. I used two of the original Z mounting screws, and another small bolt through the fire wall. I love the way it works.

Mike

The pedal from the GTO went up into the Z pretty easy. I had to experiment with spacers behind it to get it the same distance from the floor as the original pedal, but it was pretty easy. I used two of the original Z mounting screws, and another small bolt through the fire wall. I love the way it works.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's very encouraging and I hope it's applicable to RHD cars as well. I would really appreciate some photos if at all possible. My original hope to use all the pedals proved useless - as Scottie states, there is no way they will fit. I'm still holding out hope that the GTO/Ute brake booster and master cylinder can be adapted.

I have to ask, what, if any, would the benifits of DBW be? It seems like just something else to go wrong. My mothers tC is DBW, and the gas pedal is horribly irresponsive. Just wondering if it has an upside.

It's a tC, what do you want! LOL All the DBW cars that I have driven have responsive throttle feelings. All of our Nissan's are now running it. I personally can't tell the difference between DBW cars and cable cars?

Guy

I have to ask, what, if any, would the benifits of DBW be? It seems like just something else to go wrong. My mothers tC is DBW, and the gas pedal is horribly irresponsive. Just wondering if it has an upside.

Primarily I'm just trying to use as much of the donor car as I can in the belief (hope) that all the bits talk to each other.

Mike - I was worried that with a RHD the wheel arch might intrude into the firewall but it is completely flat - as are all 240Z - D'oh. After I detach the pedal from the donor car bracket I will be able to attach it to the firewall just like yours. I hadn't really thought about it before but like you stated, how much easier are the four wire compared to all the brackets, linkage and cables.

The sharing of information on this site is fantastic. Thanks.

Accelerator 1_thumb.JPG

Accelerator 2_thumb.JPG