HybridZ

Battery Relocation

I will be relocating my battery very soon as I'm rewiring my car completely. I will be running my exhaust out the fender where the battery currently lives. I'm trying to decided if I would be best served moving the battery to the rear to help with weight over the rear end. This is a drag car and will be making a lot of power. Just trying to decided which route to go. Also, If I do just drop the baterry in the current location, will I have troubles with heat from the turbo and exhaust? The exhaust will be a short 90 degree 5" dump pipe.

I'm trying to decided if I should just drop my battery like Ron Tyler has done here:

SunkBattery.jpg

Or relocate it to the back of the car like Z-gad has done here:

2JZ_Z_056.jpg

Is the exhaust going to go over or under the battery if you use the battery spot like Ron's?

I think with exhaust wrap and/or thermal coating and adequate heat shielding (I'd do a double layer setup) you'll be totally fine. In fact, you could probably just get away with the heat shielding as long as it covers well. There are plenty of cars out there (like my XR4Ti) which have the exhaust running pretty close to the battery. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Still, I think putting the battery in back would be best.

My exhaust will exit like this setup. It would go over the battery and straight out the fender. My turbo will be over on the passenger side of the motor. I could add heat shield over the battery as well. Just kinda undecided about which route I want to take.

100SS-S1050391_S1050391.jpg

I don't have any pic's to post, but I installed my battery behind the passenger's seat using some of the space from the tool bin. It doesn't limit the movement of the passegner seat and I simply open the tool bin lid to access the battery posts. I cut a hole in the front part of the tool bin and made an enclosure for the part of the battery that sticks out, and I think it came out really good.

the battery all the way in back does make more sense for drag applications, but check with the latest nhra rules.. i know my track has some pretty strict guide lines about batteries out of the engine bay..

things like it needs to be in a sealed box that can only vent out of the car and needs an external battery cut off.

mine is obviously not to these specs, but i did try to hide it away too

newcamera1001-1.jpg

newcamera1002-1.jpg

newcamera1003-1.jpg

On any type of dedicated race car, you need to get to the battery a lot. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is. If you put it behind the passenger seat, make sure you can fold the seat forward easily to get at the battery. If you put it in the rear of the car, make sure its not too buried in the rear 1/4 panels. And remember, battery cables, in the size needed for the lengths we're talking about, negate any weight savings from a smaller battery.

I don't have any pic's to post, but I installed my battery behind the passenger's seat using some of the space from the tool bin. It doesn't limit the movement of the passegner seat and I simply open the tool bin lid to access the battery posts. I cut a hole in the front part of the tool bin and made an enclosure for the part of the battery that sticks out, and I think it came out really good.

This si what I was going to suggest.

The trend lately seems to be get the weight just in front of the rear wheels, so that when weight transfer happens the weight is eaxctly where it needs to be. Mounting behind the passenger seat would be better than centered, since it will help offset driver weight (you), yes there's a large difference in weight between a person and battery, I didn't say it would balance, I said help offset. ;)

Also mounting the battery in front of the rear end will help keep the nose of the car down, with weight mounted behind the rear axle center line, the cars tend to want to lift the front wheels more.