HybridZ

R-180 to R-200 Swap

Miles

I swapped an R200 from a 78 Z into my 240. I kept the stock half shafts and driveshaft but used the mustache bar from the 280z. If you have a zx diff, you will need different stub axles (I think at least if it is from a turbo) and the 280 mustache bar and possibly rear cover. Anybody else?

You need the R200 mustache bar and lower rear transverse bar (ties the rear control arms together). You'll also need a 280Z driveshaft since using the R200 mustache puts the diff back about an inch and a half towards the rear of the car.

You can use either 240 or 280 halfshafts, although the 280 units are supposedly stronger. You'll re-use your 240 flanges either way.

If you can find a set of 280zx turbo half shafts, I recommend getting them, along with the accompanying flanges. You have to kluge a seal by either shaving R200 pinion seals (didn't work for me), or using some PVC or other material to make the ZX seal larger.

Oh, for the ratio, prevent one output shaft from turning (have a friend hold it), turn the other shaft 10 times, and count the number of times the input rotates. Then multiply by 2 (since the other shaft wasn't moving). IOWs, if it turns between 19 and 20 times, then it's a 3.9.

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: jeromio ]

I have a 240z 350 and plan on replacing the R-180 with a R-200 (the 350 chewed up the R-180). It apears that the axle flanges are not compatable. Do I have to change the axles or is there some other alternative? Is there a way to determine what the gear ratios are for a given R-200 rearend? icon_confused.gif

I did not change the transverse bar and the front flange was in the same spot as my r180. Does it matter what year the 240 was since the early cars had the different diff placement? Please post what year your cars are. Mine was built in Jan. of 72.

Doesn't matter what year your car is. What matters is the year of the source for the mustache bar and transverse bar which should be 75 - 78.

Also, it's important that the mustache bar be installed with the rings pointing towards the front of the car:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspO|

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|

front&nbsp&nbsp| rear

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspO|

The 280 mustache has a little curve in it that the R180 unit lacks. This ends up pushing the diff very slightly to the front of the car so the diff output flanges line up perfectly with the stubs, making everything centered and happy.

Just to be re-iterate, the R180 bar is installed from the factory such that the rings face the rear of the car. This puts the diff forward such that the half shafts are not orthagonal to the rear wheels. No one can be sure why they did this - it's a design flaw.

It sounds like you may have installed your mustache bar backwards? Because I definately had to use the 280Z drive shaft which is longer, and the 280 transverse bar which has a big deflection in it to fit around the diff.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: jeromio ]

Your car is a '71, I checked out on your page. Nice. From the JTR manual in chapter 6, they talk about your problems. My car is a '72 and all you need is the mustache bar. To quote JTR,

"The early (70-71) 240s had the differential mounted forward, causing the half-shafts to angle rearward to the wheels. This caused vibration problems and u-joint wear.

In 1972, the diff was moved rearward about 1 3/8", reducing half-shaft angles, vibration, and u-joint wear."

So it DOES matter what year your car is. And mine works fine. icon_smile.gif

Well then. I guess I am a dope. icon_sad.gif

Sorry about that. I thought the problem only got solved with the move to the R200.

Corrected equals me. See, and now I have to re-read my previous post where I make it sound all like I know what I'm talking about and stuff.

Hey, there's no "tail between legs, sauntering quietly into the distance" emotive on this bulletin board...

Guest Anonymous

Davy, I agree about jeromio's web site (and others as well!). Thats why I don't post much, most of my questions are answered before I ask 'em.

icon_wink.gif

tom