HybridZ

looking for opinion: i've got options

Hotrodpez

In a trade I got one car and somehow I've ended up with 3 complete running L6 engines:

- L24, E31

- L28, P79

- L28, N42

In your more experienced opinion, what would be in my best interest to do here? I want performance (not stock, or else I would be on the 'other' forum) and I'm not looking to spend a poo-poo load of money, but if it involves swapping heads, or other average work, I can do that.

And, no, I'm not giving anyone the E31 for 5 bucks :lol:

L28/N42 is the best of the combinations you have. The E31 head is of some value to someone doing a restoration but they are not the hot thing anymore from a performance standpoint. They used to be of value to the ITS racers but rule changes and technology advances over the years negated their compression ratio advantage. Their smaller valves are an impediment to performance in road racing classes that require stock, unmodified heads.

Put the N42 head on the L28 that has the P79 on it (flat top P79 pistons). This will get close 10:1 CR. A medium street cam, headers, intake port matching, and proper tuning can get you to 180WHP.

Put the N42 head on the L28 that has the P79 on it (flat top P79 pistons). This will get close 10:1 CR. A medium street cam, headers, intake port matching, and proper tuning can get you to 180WHP.

Unless I plan to go turbo, which I do. But not for a while. So, I should do this, until I build my turbo motor, and then probably get an entirely different head anyway.