HybridZ

Bought another 240Z, a '71!

It's more or less shell. It's my second shell. My first one, a '72, had been in two decent wrecks, and had a lot of bondo on it. This one doesn't appear to have been in anything major, but it has a lot more rust. Arghh, you just can't win!

I think it's a 71. All the paper work I have says so, but there's no title. Man'ed in 8/70, so I dunno. Either way, it's an early one. No compartments behind the seats, it has vertical defroster lines and hatch vents.

The frame rails are toast, as are the floor pans. I suppose I could use some of the rails from the '72, but they have some rust on them too. I think just replacing them with new metal, or a front tube chassis, would be best.

Problem is, I don't think I can get this one on a rotisserie without it falling in half.

The door sills look really good, better than the '72. Also, the rear portion of the looks good. The rear quarters have been replaced, I was told, and look good, but I wonder if they got rid of all the rust.

Stuff for sale:

Rear bumper (no front)

Front grill (not pictured in post)

R180 Diff (not pictured)

Halfshafts (ditto)

Driveshaft (ditto)

Located in DFW, TX

Pics: (http://black.selfunaware.com/images/240z-2/ for more)

P6220055.JPG

P6220058.JPG

P6220062.JPG

P6220065.JPG

P6220071.JPGP6220068.JPG

P6220070.JPG

P6220072.JPG

P6220076.JPG

Wow! Looks like you have your work cut out for you!

As for fixing all that rust, what I would do (which may or may not be "correct"), is strip it of the heavier pieces (suspension, engine, body panels, etc.), put it on jack stands, and replace the frame rails and floors. After that is done, it should be strong enough to put on a rotisserie. However, I do NOT think just doing a front tube chassis would be easier than replacing the frame rails. Not by a long shot. I would just replace them with some nice, thick, square tubing.

This one was driven not too long ago, I believe. In this condition...

The VG project is still a go. I've been looking for a new shell, since the one I have, the '72, has been in two too many wrecks and has bondo everywhere.

I'll be fixing this one and then moving the engine into it.

All I need now is a TIG and a sawz-all. Luckily our new house has the feed and breaker panel in the garage... :)

There has got to be a better shell for you to start with. In my eyes, that is scrap metal. You got more b**s than me to look at that and say I am going to start my project here.

Best of luck.

You would think so, especially in TX. But I didn't pay much for either of them. I've already made my money back on the first one selling various things off of it that I didn't need.

I suppose it's being more unaware of my situation. I used to work for a performance shop and had a nice Syncrowave 250, tons of metal, lifts, air, etc at my disposal. Now I've moved, and everything just got way harder. Yet I still buy these cars and go, "oh, I can weld that up".

But I'll get a decent TIG and sandblast the thing and then hopefully I'm off.