HybridZ

Stuttering on acceleration

Howdy guys. My '78 280Z is stuttering on acceleration (under no load... just revving). It seems to idle fine.

I've replaced the ignition coil and pulled/soaked the injectors.

When I give it gas, the rpm's drop. Within a second, I hear a loud pop coming from the AFM area. I hope it isn't the AFM, but it wouldn't surprise me. Any other ideas? Thanks, Eric.

P.S. I need to take apart the entire intake manifold and replace the hoses/fix the vacuum leaks.

i had a similar problem when i changed my intake on my zx, i was getting to much fuel, bog down and it would backfire through the intake. check your fuel pressure regulator. if you have a bad vac leak it will also bog, check your grounds too.

After a while, it got to the point where it wouldn't idle at all. I pulled the fuel rail and the wire harness. I then started disassembling everything (found at least 2 vac leaks). I have two problems now though. I've got the entire intake disassembled and unbolted (4 bolts), but I still can't pull the damn thing off the block. Is there some special trick?

The only thing that is still bolted on (as far as I know) is the EGR pipe, but its cracked and I should at least be able to pry the manifold away at the front.... God I feel like an idiot.

So far my problems amount to:

Vacuum leaks

Bad injectors (seem to be sticking open)

Clogged fuel rail (if i turn the pump on with the return line unplugged, still no fuel shoots out)

Stuck intake manifold

Idiocy

I'm going to test my injectors tomorrow evening, but on the off-chance that they're bad, what are my alternatives? I checked out a few websites and stock replacements range from 60 to 100 dollars PER injector. This is friggin' crazy. 360 to 600 dollars plus tax for a new set of injectors that flow what... 150cc? [/rant]

It doesn't look like the needles are coming all the way down to close the flow of fuel... what are my alternatives? New rail/ different type of injectors? Someone have spares? Thanks, Eric.

PM sent. I'm sort of jacking my own thread on this one, but I wanted folks to see this. I just got the "stage 4 rear brake kit" from bajaracer. These rotors are huge! They're the same size (or bigger even) as the front rotors on my 4Runner. For reference... my entire hand stretches just barely past the hub portion.

DSCN0011.jpg