HybridZ

Pulling or pushing fuel

caen fred

I am about to fit an electric fuel pump for a custom EFI 240Z.

The usual rule is to have the fuel pump near the tank pushing fuel.

I would prefer to have it in the front for ease of installation and noise factor :wink:

On a 240Z is this rule really critical? It's not a limo after all, and the factory one is ... pulling fuel all the same, no?

I have an inertia switch for the fuel pump in case of any encounter, so I am not too worried about security.

Most EFI pumps are designed to push.

Many are not "self-priming", and so they need to be mounted in such a way that gravity will provide the priming effect. This is also why most OEM EFI pumps are mounted inside the tank (among various other reasons, such as noise control).

Mounting the fuel pump by use of rubber isolators can help cut down the noise.

I mounted an EFI pump up front initially when I converted to Triples. I had a heluva time getting over 80HP to the rear wheels. Changed jets and didn't help. Dyno operator said to put the pump out back, because it wasn't working like it's supposed to be sucking all the way from the back through a 10mm line. Repositioned the pump to the rear on a 260 electric pump bracket (bolts are there on all the 240's...) and I got a quiet pump that supported 145hp. Only thing I changed was putting the pump in the rear of the car. Still sucked through a 10mm line!

And that was with an EFI pump pushing 3.5psi. I dread to think what it would do having that high of a suction head to overcome and try to pump to 35psi+!!!

If sound is a concern (????) rubber mount it and use a rotary Bosch or Walbro type. They are very quiet.

Another alternative, which I did on another car was to push fuel up front with a Bendix Style pump that self-regulated to 3.5psi, and ran the EFI pump in/off a surge tank mounted in front of the radiator. Even the stock 240 Ticker Pump will work like that if you use a surge tank up front.