HybridZ

Cheap Surge Tank

z-ya

Yeah, I spotted that when I was researching surge tanks. It's a clever idea, but it's plastic, isn't it? I was concerned about failure in a collision, and the plastic becoming brittle over time. The new note about it having worked for three years may put my "brittleness" concern to rest, though.

Plastic if not designed for solvents do get brittle. I would definetly make sure that the plastic was safe. You should be able to find a oil filter assemble from Mc Master Carr that would better suit the need. Look for a hydrolic assemble and that would work the same...

Yeah, I spotted that when I was researching surge tanks. It's a clever idea, but it's plastic, isn't it? I was concerned about failure in a collision, and the plastic becoming brittle over time. The new note about it having worked for three years may put my "brittleness" concern to rest, though.

read:

Housing Notes:

-Most housings I saw on the internet were made from polypropylene. This is the same stuff that some gas tanks are made from' date=' so it should be safe. But I still recommend testing before using. I filled my filter housing with gas and plugged the fittings and let it sit for a week and made sure nothing deteriorated or anything before I ever started any fabrication. [b']BE SAFE!

[/b]- As mentioned above, there are shorter 5" housing that should work fine if you don't plan to use an internal fuel pump. (Should be easier to mount.)

I've been poking around on-line, and I can't seem to find the filter he's using, even on the GE website. I think GE might have redesigned it. I'm going to stop into Home Depot and see I can find it, or something like it. I really like the idea of having the pump in the surge tank. That saves a lot of space.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

You may be able to get away with the same setup using a larger receiver dryer from a truck, and it would be aluminum and would cool the fuel as well.

you could cut off one end, and pipe thread it, perhaps? If you can find an aluminum pipe cap, then you can also run the electrical stakes right into the housing as he did, and also tap the fittings too.

hmmmmmmmm... i like the in-tank surge pump unit too. makes more sense.

Nigel,

r13783v-1.jpg

13 inch tall, 5 inch wide, looks a bout the same size as the one in the write-up when you compare the cap size. He makes mention of 10" being the drum size, so if you factor in between 2 or 3 inches for the cap, and the 1/2 inch thicker bottom side, this is what you're looking for.

Available at home depot, although it's not on their website, and you can no longer buy it online from any retailer.

Therefore, it has been discontinued and replaced with an electronically controlled valve unit.

http://www.geappliances.com/smartwater/model_fs.htm?GXWH04F

strotter

sorry for my quote of your post, I must not have been reading. the point about it failing in a crash is important and I overlooked it when quoting you.

apologies!

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize you could have the exposed leads in the actual gas like that:

Remember; for anything to burn, you need heat, fuel and oxygen. In theory, you could weld under gasoline as long as the heat did not reach an area that has oxygen in it.

Remember; for anything to burn, you need heat, fuel and oxygen. In theory, you could weld under gasoline as long as the heat did not reach an area that has oxygen in it.

I understand that, but I didn't think that the tank would fill that high. What happens if the the low pressure pump goes bad and the tank drains some? I'm assuming no air will be pumped or sucked in, but for safety sake I'd just create connections on the outside.

I understand that, but I didn't think that the tank would fill that high. What happens if the the low pressure pump goes bad and the tank drains some? I'm assuming no air will be pumped or sucked in, but for safety sake I'd just create connections on the outside.

Doesn't a standard fuel pump have fuel running through it (i.e. wet type) ?, why doesn't it explode ?,

my understanding is the fuel help keeps the motor cool as well.

Nigel

About every OE fuel pump setup I have seen has open connectors. Do you think that the little black connector that plugs up to a Walbro style fuel pump is liquid proof? It doesn't even have any sealant on it like a weather-pac connector.

I had to LOL when I saw this. Very clever and I don't think it'll have any issues.

By the way, the Walbro 255 lph pump that you would wanna use is a GSS342 or GSS341.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, do you have any pics you can post? Thank you.

I used a Goldenrod fuel filter meant for a gas pump to make a surge tank. It's not as big as that one and the fuel pump had to go outside, but the case is metal. Picked it up for something like $25 at Tractor Supply.

I used a Goldenrod fuel filter meant for a gas pump to make a surge tank. It's not as big as that one and the fuel pump had to go outside, but the case is metal. Picked it up for something like $25 at Tractor Supply.

Great idea. What is the thread on the bottom, or did you re-tap it for NTP.

Pete