HybridZ

TH400 - Build to survive a 2JZ?

Doug71zt

I've taken the plunge and picked up another car to build. It's a 77 280z, going to do a 2JZ-GTE with a TH400. T-brake is planned, shooting for the 800 hp area with a GT4094R, 272s and maybe a 50-75 shot.

The local trans guy tells me I'm going to eventually wear the TH400 if I turn it to 8500 without some serious mods. Z-Gad, Scottie - what have you done internally to your trans? I am considering the lightweight drums and bearings instead of bushings. Are you running a full trans cover or a converter shield/trans blanket?

I'm sure that this will be the first of many questions for the build. Thanks to Mike(Z-Gad) for the inspiration.

Doug

The local trans guy tells me I'm going to eventually wear the TH400 if I turn it to 8500 without some serious mods. Z-Gad, Scottie - what have you done internally to your trans? I am considering the lightweight drums and bearings instead of bushings. Are you running a full trans cover or a converter shield/trans blanket?

8500 is my redline so to speak... I shift around 8000 or so. As for my TH400, I have upgraded clutches and sprag. The TH400 is such a strong trans that i will survive just fine with those alone, although the lightweight drums and bearings should create less drag on the driveline. I gues it depends on how fast you want to go ;)

I'm sure that this will be the first of many questions for the build. Thanks to Mike(Z-Gad) for the inspiration.

Doug

Doug,

I'm glad I could be part of your inspiration I mean sickness LOL!!!

The power potential from these motors is just unbelievable, even in stock form... enjoy the build and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know,

Mike

Mine is an "off-the-shelf" TCI full competition tranny with reverse pattern manual VB. The VB was recently replaced with a Hipster brake. Converter is a P.I. Vigilante 4000 stall. No cover or blanket, yet.

I just installed 272s. Prior to that I only ran the engine to 70-7200. With the 272s I will explore 800hp but limit the revs to 74-7500 since I have a stock longblock and want it to last.

You can spend ton$ building up any tranny but personally I dont know that a TH400 in a lightweight car with 800hp needs an expensive build. Many a 1000+hp SII GNs running "inexpensive" builds and typically 700+# heavier than your car will be. With a t-brake you have to look at upgraded sprag, band anchors, etc. Certainly talk to a good shop like jap tin recommends and I think the assembly is as important as the components you put in it.

It is the RPM that has these guys spooked, IE the amount of rotating mass that has to change speed during the shift.

I am going to do the sprag and clutches for sure, I think that the OEM shafts will be fine, but the hubs/drums are what I am stuck on. It seems to add about $1000 to the cost of the trans to take it to this level, from $1200ish to $2300ish.

It is such a well known transmission that I am sure that the answer is out there. I am also thinking about doing the JW bellhousing and case instead of a blanket/shield. The local strip won't let a car like this onto the track without some sort of protection. They have enough problems with my 240 - which trapped at 127 mph in shakedowns with the new 3.0L in it....

Note my reference to the Buick SII engine. These engines run up to 8000+. My buddy who is probably the most knowledgable TH400 person I know, shifted his destroked SII (3.5L) at 9200. Certainly if it makes you feel more comfortable, spend the extra $$$.

Note my reference to the Buick SII engine. These engines run up to 8000+. My buddy who is probably the most knowledgable TH400 person I know, shifted his destroked SII (3.5L) at 9200. Certainly if it makes you feel more comfortable, spend the extra $$$.

I wasn't aware that the Buick engines twisted that high - I really don't know anything about the SII engines (I think that they are 4.1L displacement).

I am not looking to spend money needlessly on this car, as there is spousal resistance to a second (more impractical) Datsun already.

This will be my first automatic transmissioned car - not counting my wife's 01 Maxima...As the car will be light, I realize that there will be no need for the HD stuff required for the 4000lb BBC cars. I will talk to another shop here in Ontario about what they think, as well as giving Rossler and TCI a call. I am hoping to find someone local to deal with, as shipping a transmission over borders and dealing with a company across the continent is not too cool.

Mike - Are you running a Tbrake or foot braking? I seem to remember that you have an automatic valve body in yours still - any idea who built it?

Thanks for all the information.

Doug

How much was that out the door?

not being nosey.

:D Pg 165 of the latest Jegs catalog. No secret. :D I bought it many years ago through Summit, I believe, for the GN engine and believe I paid right about $1K shipped. When I switched to the 2JZ I had to switch to a Chevy case to fit the 2JZ tranny adaptor. Shop made the switch in about 1hr :D. I later added a deep aluminum pan and then the Hipster t-brake.

Not necessarily endorsing TCI, it was just a cost-effective solution for me. Personally, I would buy a stocker and have a good tranny shop or TH400 expert build it up, especially if you plan to put a t-brake in it. Dont necessarily think the TCI brake is the best. If you do the standard build with sprag, good clutches and other pieces, you will be shocked how inexpensive the TH400 can be. Of course, for a street car you sacrifice OD and LU converter, so make sure you understand that.

Remember that the Buick SII was built specifically to compete in NASCAR. It was later used in Indy cars, Indy lights and lots of road racing cars including the infamous Corvette GTP. 8K RPMs is the norm for this enine. My buddy had his destroked. The engine Speeder is building was originally built and run by McLaren in Indy cars and should turn some revs since I think it is slightly destroked.

Mike - Are you running a Tbrake or foot braking? I seem to remember that you have an automatic valve body in yours still - any idea who built it?

I still have the stock auto valve body in my TH400. I simply had it refreshed by a local transmission guy I trust. He added aftermarket clutches/sprag and did a general refresh and sent me on my way for $550-$600 if I remember correctly...

I am still on the footbrake with a 4200 stall.

I feel your pain regarding the spousal resistance LOL ;)

Jap tin has a point, you may only need 2 gears and it'd save you a BUNCH of weight going to the PG. I chose to keep 3 gears since the car sees plenty of around town and road miles.

Talk to Hutch Transmission Services in Ontario. They do great work!

http://www.hutchtrans.com/hutch2_009.htm

He also runs a good transmissions forum here(You'll see Stony over in that forum right now :)):

http://yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Justin

I've been looking at Yellowbullet for a while now doing some research, and am planning on talking to Hutch. Can't get much closer than that, 1 hr drive from me.

As for the glide, I will be street driving this car a fair bit and I would like to stay with a 3 speed. With the planned R230 rear gear (2.93) and 26 inch tires, I think that the 400 will serve me better.

Doug

I just got off the phone with JW - they have a complete kit for the 2JZ now, consists of an adapter plate, a machined Ultrabell, and a flexplate for a GM converter up to 10 inch. They say that the adapter and flexplate are made by an outside vendor.... details are on the way to my email.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...