HybridZ

making a dashboard

I'm trying to build my own dashboard because the current one is all cracked up, smells, and weighs a lot.

i've spec.ed out all the parts but now i have to actually build it. which is a little harder than i thought it would be. I need to have the heat/ac controls functioning with the vents and heat/ac. I've looked at many model cars to do this but interestingly enough the 350z looks like it would be a perfect candidate. so i went to the junkyard yesterday and tried to get some guys to pull the system from a 350 for me but they said that it worked by servos opening and closing the vents. Could i still implement this system for my new dash? i don't know which kind of heat/ac inputs there are but was thinking there'd be power to them and an accessory to tell when the car was turned on. basically do they work like head units? just supply power and accessory and then wire everything from there?

and would that work out for the 350?

or would i be able to take the 350 dash and put it in the 240 with the modifications i'm thinking of.

This is what the dash will hopefully look like when i'm done.

dashassy.jpg

thanks!

-work being done at custom fab and finish

cffpowder.com

• 4 weeks later...

Some A/C systems have a box bolted up to the back side with the knobs poking through the dash (like a head unit).

Others have cabling hooked up to the knobs that runs to the air control system.

Yet others use vacuum/air to drive the various things on the air control system.

You probably will have to do some intricate mechanical or electronic modification to make the two systems interface.

• 1 month later...

I've made a couple of dashes, start with the metal that is in the stock dash, that way it will bolt in easyer. Use wood connected to the metal to get your basic shape, then glass your shape from there, Your design is going to be hard to cover without seams.I have a lot of pics of the dash I made for my transAm Roadster, it's about 90% complete. I don't know how this site is about pics here's a couple,I do have pics of every step if you want.There is going to be a carbonfiber insert with the grills blacked out .

dashreadyfovinyl3.jpg

dashreadyfovinyl4.jpg

dashdone3.jpg

dashdone.jpg

Am I the only one that's turned off by cars with 6"+ of foam all over it. Don't bump into it. Not to mention the weight. C'mon guys, do it with steel. Foam is for an "untouchable" prototype that won't ever be driven.