HybridZ

240 Door locks

Ok so, I searched and nothing came up

so I'm sorry if there is a post on this but, I am having problems with my passenger side door lock. I cant lock the door from the outside or from the inside. When I try to push down on the lock rod it won't go down it's like it's stuck in the unlocked position. I would greatly appreciate some help with this. I have run out of options.

Have you taken the door panel off from the inside yet? Its pretty simple, just a few screws and tabs that hold it on. Then you can have a look inside the door toward the rear where the locking mechanism is. It might just need some lubirication, or perhaps it isn't hooked up at all. See what you can find in there first.

This sounds stupid, but is your door latching closed all the way? I had that problem too, and fixing the latch to close all the way solved it for me.

You can only lock it with the door closed. The PO of my Z rounded off the lock cylinder trying to lock it with the door not quite closed.

This sounds stupid, but is your door latching closed all the way? I had that problem too, and fixing the latch to close all the way solved it for me.

x2!

It sometimes takes me a few tries of the closing the door and the trade mark "hip check" to get the mechanism in a position where I can lock it. In my case I still can't use the lock cylinders, I need to reach in through the hatch to lock or unlock the car.

Have you taken the door panel off from the inside yet? Its pretty simple, just a few screws and tabs that hold it on. Then you can have a look inside the door toward the rear where the locking mechanism is. It might just need some lubrication, or perhaps it isn't hooked up at all. See what you can find in there first.

Yeah I have I even replaced the door handle because it broke.I know everything is put together right too. I'm sure I'm closing the doors all the way lol. Whats really weird is the drivers side was like that to until one day I slammed it really hard because, I couldn't get it shut and it started working. ?!?! so confused on what to do. Everything is sprayed with WD-40

My solution is to replace the latches with some from a different car, a 2nd gen Cavalier to be exact. No, they don't bolt in, there will be plenty of cutting and welding along the way, but I'm already sick of these damn Datsun latches, and I've only been driving the car for a few months.

I fixed it!!!!! thank you all for your help. Today I decided to take the whole mechanism out of the door(pain in the a**). what had happened is when I installed my new door handle I bent the rod all up and it was rubbing against the door plunger which would in turn not let the door lock. Also the parts where sticking because it was so dirty. But its all fixed now =]

WD-40 is fish oil, not lubricant.

Bare minimum lubrication for door components is aerosol white lithium grease.

My passenger door never quite closed right.. it was easy enough to pull or push fully closed if you knew *just* where and how hard and fast to pull.. but only I knew that, none of the passengers. I dealt with it for years, spraying WD-40 on it occasionally.. I know I had hit it with lithium when I put that door on, and I could've sworn I had oiled it as well. (Read: at least a 50/50 chance I never put anything on it :oops:)

Well, one day I felt spunky. This was at least two years after the door had been put on the car, and all specific recollection of lubricating episodes had fogged into a blur in my mind. On this inspired day, I dribbled a little bit of 10W-30 I kept in a big syringe for household use onto the latch on the door.

I shut the door, and I'll be buggered if it didn't sound like BUTTER.

Ever since that day, the door simply LEAPS into the fully latched position. It sounds almost like a new car door.. it WOULD, if I had good rubber pieces holding the window tightly. (actually all it takes is pushing on the closed window to close the door, but I *really* don't like doing that.. once you break a window in your Z you get paranoid.)

Lesson is, WD-40 is crap that is cheap to ALWAYS have around. It is good for cleaning stuff, and its good for many things, but it is NOT oil or grease. Lock cylinders, it can be great for.. lock MECHANISMS and linkages like what is inside the door, and the latch itself, need need NEED oil or grease, sometimes an alchemists combination of both.

For the record, I don't even use PB B'Laster anymore.. Sea Foam Deep Creep is worth twice the $7-8 bucks a can they charge for it, because a can lasts FOREVER. it WORKS :D But I wouldn't even use that in these situations.