HybridZ

need help with fuel pumps

bobbyc

i'm looking for 2 good pumps..one low pressure high flow for the surge tank, and another high flow high pressure (~something similar to the walbro 255lph) from tank to fuel rail. i see all the ones through summit...and most fit my needs...but was wondering if anyone had any advise to give on 2 good fuel pump. the other criteria is i need to be able to hook them up via AN fittings. i can reduce them down if needed...

It would depend on the HP level you are looking to produce. A fuel pump that is just feeding a surge tank will flow more fuel than rated, a standard 255lph intank pump will work fine suppling fuel to a surge tank. If your looking for a budget "main" fuel pump CB performance sells a external high flow pump that works quite well for a decent price.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1246

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D250103&N=700+4294836951+400304+115&autoview=sku

My setup uses a 70gph intank pump feeding a surge tank that feeds an Aeromotive Tsunami fuel pump the Aeromotive fuel pump uses AN fittings and provides enough fuel to make over 500 rwh.

I have used a stock N/A EFI pump to successfully make over 350rwhp on a carburetted blowthrough setup. Lending mas credence to exactly what 510Six says: if it's a low pressure setup, the flow from any given pump will be FAR more than rated. In that setup I used the stock 240Z 'ticker' style Bendix Electric Pump to send fuel up to the surge tank and never had a problem...even though that supplementary pump in the 240 was NEVER designed to support even 150hp much less boosting surge duty on a turbocharged car!

Additionally, if you are running your return line through your surge tank (like you should) there should never be any incidence when your running dry or even low on your boost system.

I would bet a stock EFI pump running 'free field' to the surge tank would handle quite a bit of flow, and allow even a slight positive pressure to the main pump, boosting it's throughput at the same time.

I run a Walbro 255 from the main tank via -8an to a swirl pot and a bosch 044 pump to feed the high pressure side. I run the return from the fuel rail back to a T fitting with the return from the swirl pot and back into the main tank...works a treat.