HybridZ

Driveline Phasing

Miles

Just want to check my understanding of driveline phasing. Basically, the angle of the transmission center line and the differential input shaft centerline must be parallel. So, if the angles of the trans and diff sum to 180 deg then they are parallel. For example, from the book Practical Engine Swapping, if the diff is 80 deg nose up and the trans is 100 deg down then everything sums to 180 deg and is properly aligned in the verical axis. Right? So much for vertical alignment. Has anybody had a problem in the horizontal axis of driveshaft alignment? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

Miles, yes alot of the vibrational driveline problems are because of that. For the JTR kit, people have had success by NOT using the spacers between the Xmember and frame, and raising the differential carrier up on the back mount where the mustache bar mounts to the body is a bushing. By shortening the top of the bushing it raises the front of the differential.

This seems to really work, and I'm going to need to do it if I stay with a R200 dif. I note in my own swap, that at the top of each gear is a vibration that is felt and heard through the tunnel into the car. Its enough to make things in the center console buzz. I'm sure by making that mod, mine will be fine, it doesn't seem to hurt anything, just scares (or at least adds to the excitement of icon_wink.gif ) people who are riding in the car.

Hope that helps,

Lone

On the horizontal axis, you are shooting for the engine/transmission centerline to be at 90 degrees to the rear axle line. Its OK to have the engine biased to one side of the engine compartment, many manufactiures have done this in the past. Finding a way to measure this exactly is a little tough. As in my swap, the center of the crankshaft is 1/2" to the right of the chassis center, I try to maintain that distance as well at the transmission tailshft. I've played with shimming the trans mount (vert axis) with good success. Sometimes a little trial and error can find the ideal location.

JS

Lone

I have installed a r200 too and next week will be installing a T5 in place of a Saginaw 4 speed. It will be several weeks before I can road test the car. From what I have read here in the forum, it's almost a given that I'll have to do the mustache bushing mod. I am also considering going to a hard front diff mount.

Mine is just about at the limit of angle for the horizontal alignment. With such a short driveshaft, a couple of inches off centerline will make a big difference. Still, I don't feel an abnormal amount of vibration. It's too bad that "the driveshaft" has not progress along with other automotive technology and seen the development of a CV jointed driveshaft. Hmmm, maybe I have stumbled on to my next project. Currently, I have just tonight assembled my driveshaft with a pulley on it so that I can drive my alternator from the driveshaft. It was a racing idea only for longer races, but now that the car is getting street duty, and I had to find a charger for the battery, and my hood would not allow such extravagance mounted to the motor.