HybridZ

Help. Clutch problems holding me up.

Dan Juday

I thought my only problem is that it needed to be bled. What I got: sbc, T5. I put it together just like it says in the JTR manual. Got the Tilton MC, 3/4". I was so sure I had air in there I couldn't get out that I finally disassembled and reassembled the slave while submerged in a bucket of DOT 3 while pumping more through the MC. My hands will never be the same. And this is not easy from under the car (wife helped). I know I have all the air out now. But: with 3/4" stroke on the MC, full pedal travel, I get about 3/8" travel at the slave. Clutch will not disengage. All parts are brand spankin' new. Help, please. Pete, Mike, anybody? I want to get this part working before the exhaust is installed.

Time to crack open the geometry book.

Hydraulics is moving a constant volume of liquid.

Volume of a cylinder.....anyone?....Bueller?

V = pi x r^2 x h

Make sure the Master cyl pushrod is making the most of it's stroke (if the rod is too long it is starting at the bottom). You probably can't increase it.

In order to increase the slave cyl stoke, you might need a larger radius master cyl. or a smaller radius(r in formula) slave cyl.

Hey Pete

I'm still contemplating a cable clutch, so while you're underneath your car. Could you do me a favor and measure the distance the clutchfork needs to travel to disengage clutch, this would be the same distance the slavecyl. piston travels..

Thanks Thure

Except the Camaro / Vette / Datsun / JTR slave cyl "pushes" and a cable "pulls" The clutch arm travel distance is probably the same. I guess it depends on the position of the fulcrum inside the bellhousing, distance from the crank centerline....(yikes more geometry. My Brain hurts!) That hydraulic T/O bearing is sounding better all the time.

Dan,

all i can tell you is that on chucks car

it had a 3/4" master - with T5 and GM slave/fork combo. it barely worked that way.

i gave him a 7/8" master to try and all the problems went away when he changed it. so the smaller master just doesnt allow full travel.

You'd have to look at the geometry of the clutch hat (how much compression needed to disengage the clutch), fork arm, and the slave cyl. diameter between the T-56 and the typical Muncie/T-10/T-5 clutch fork/slave setups to know if the 3/4" were enough.

For the T-5 clutch/slave/fork, as noted above, with the 3/4" MC, it doesn't have enough fork movement to do the job. The JTR manual goes over this, and suggests a 7/8" and/or 1" MC to work with it.

Guest Anonymous

I'm using a 3/4" Howe with a T56, seems to work ok *shrug*. I am using a replacement type clutch and it engages fully. I havnt driven one with a 7/8" bore master though. I do think the extra 1/8th 'might' put additional stress on the 'rigged' fitting into the plastic slave trick, I mean if you bottomed out the slave lets say. icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Lone

Rigged? icon_smile.gif I guess that's my thoughts on screwing into the plastic after having mine shot out like a bullet. icon_eek.gif I'm glad I figured out an alternative, I just wasn't comfortable with the threaded setup.

I HAVE actually bottomed out my clutch with the new setup. It didn't hit the bottom of the slave but the clutch pushed away too far and I hear some "interesting" noises as the pedal hit the bottom of it's travel. I've backed the rod off some after that and the pedal isn't quite so high now.

Hrm, I DID hav some problems with the clutch rod jamming a one point. This was with the threadedJB Welded screwed in fitting. When it jammed I put a pretty decent amount of pressure on the pedal trying to figure it out - it held but leaked just a bit. Considering the pressure I'd say it did petty good. Perhaps those screwing the fiting in should consider JBWeld to help seal and strengthen it? I believe I'm using the 7/8ths MC BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Just had to tell ya'll. Got the 7/8 master installed today and it worked, icon_biggrin.gif just like you said! I bolted in a seat and drove it for the very first time. Uh, just up and down the driveway and back into the garage icon_rolleyes.gif . Still no exhaust system on it. Boy, is that loud. Still, I think I did it about six times. The kids rode too. Scared them to death. icon_eek.gif Goes in Monday for pipes, on a trailer. But I'm going to drive it home! Who needs doors, fenders, a registration?

Thanks again to the two Mikes.

Do they make a replacement slave for a T-56. That and a master cylinder are all I a missing to complete my tranny setup. Well I need a few bolts to but the neighbor sells bolts for a living so I will bet some grade 8 ones off of her icon_smile.gif The slave and master setup has plauged just about everyone here. I am in the process still of collection parts and those are 2 that I have hunted for. I know where to get a master but the slave is no where to be found except from Chevy and I hate to bend over and take it from them.

Mike

I got a replacement slave - sans hose and MC for about $50 from a local parts place. It's a Wagner part and I used the GM braided hose on it - it's plastic. The only thing about buying it seperate is that you get no hose. IF you can get th ehose and follow my directions I'd suggest NOT using the JTR method. IF you canNOT get the GM hose then by all means use the JTR method but make sure the hole isn't big and consider JBWeld or another epoxy in there when you screw in the fitting to help secure it. icon_smile.gif The plastic slave will work but I wouldn't mind knowing about an aluminum one too icon_smile.gif