HybridZ

What clutch do you guys perfer?

scottyMIz

For those who don't know my setup i'm going for 350 to 400 horse and the stock clutch isn't holding for what i have now.I was told to find out what the majority of you guys perfer.I was thinking about a center force the dual friction one but i need to know what's the best one i can get for a good price that will hold the power?

Check with Mcleod. You can go with a stockish pressure plate and a dual friction disc. Mcleod sells just the disc for many applications. I have a Ford 1-1/16" spline disc (Mcleod dual friction) between a 1LE Camaro flywheel and pressure plate. I hope a Ford vs Chevy war doesn't start out in my bellhousing icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

you wont like Mcleod, when i called they quoted me around $700 icon_eek.gif for a clutch. in a not so polite way i told him he was stupid. get a puck style, sprung hub if you want, but unsprung if you NEVER want to slip again. look into ACT or CLUTCH MASTERS. even try RPS. i called all of them when looking for my last clutch. EXEDY is another one that wants around $600.

This was a McLeod clutch for a V8?! Folks, we're only talking 300-400HP - dual disk, unsprung, wild combos shouldn't be needed. Pete's sounds fine for the street and mine is VERY docile too. My attitude was that I wasn't going to spend a ton of money if I didn't have to.

I'm confused. Scotty MIZ is running an L28ET. Are there clutches for V8s available for the Nissan motors/trannies? I haven't run into the limitations of my Centerforce II clutch yet...I am very happy with its performance - it's never slipped and it's well behaved on the street, but I'm only putting 170hp to the wheels.

Guest Anonymous

Scotty I sell McCleod clutches almost exclusively and have had very good luck with them. There is no break in period as with some other clutches and they hold very well. I don't see the prices that i've seen posted here but call me at work at 925 833 9871 and I will quote ya for sure. I just need to know the trans application. I have a customer with a 98 stang with a 150 shot of laughing gas on a warmed over 4.6 using a true slick and he has over a hundred passes on spray and untold daily miles and he is extremely pleased with the clutch. Give me a call to see what I can come up with!!!

This was a McLeod clutch for a V8?!

no, for an L28ET.

V8's dont need the same holding power as a turbo. hell i have friends that run a centerforce dual friction in a 5.0. a car that runs low 12's, drag suspension and actually pulls the front end off the ground. yet put that same clutch in my turbo I6 and slip city!!! be carful think ahead, dont buy the clutch for the power you have now. buy for the power you expect to have in time.

i am not saying mcleod is no good. just stating the price i was quoted over the phone.

300-400HP is not the problem. it is the outrages torque that a turbo generates. for example, DSM's like to run ACT full disc, 400+ hp, AWD but still a 4cyl. these cars will run in the 10's and get 1.7 60ft's on this clutch. i call ACT with my car tell them it is a 2.8 straight 6, roughly 350HP and 25PSI. they tell me the full face disc will not hold up to my car. too much torque.

oops sorry for the long post

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: SHANE ]

well i was lost at first but it made sense after shane put some light on the subject.Shane what do you have done to yours to get 11's?I'm going to buy a clutch that is more than i want so i can mod more later.I can hit 1.73 60'with the stock clutch it's the top end where the clutch suffers alot third, fourth and fifth really kill it.I'll call tomorrow long rod 327z what's your name?So i can ask for you and identify my self.I'm going to need something not too pricy but can hold the turbo.

Ah okay - he didn't say what he was running at first and I've not yet memorized what everyone's combo is. When folks ask questions they need to identify the drivetrain! Since most of us run V8s....

Hrm, and a Centerforce II clutch in my Mustang held up to about 450+ft lbs daily driven and raced. That was a 10.5 or 11inch clutch. Surface area makes a REALLY big difference, how big a surface does the L6 have?

I'm actually about to buy a clutch for the RX7 I own and am probably going to have to buy something pretty nasty. I just hope I don't tear up the flywheel with too aggressive a material. That's a very real worry when you start buying aggressive clutches. The toggle switch nature of some of them is also no fun on the street icon_sad.gif

Heh, I'm betting thta's part of th eproblem then. My calculations may be completely hosed but I'm coming up with a surface area of 69sq inches for the Z flywheelclutch and 86.5 for a 10.5 inch Mustang flywheelclutch combo. Mind you it's been a looong time since I've had to do this sort of calculaiton (math not my forte anyway) but if that's right we're talking about a noticable difference. How big is the flywheel on the Mitsu AWD cars?

Hrm, is there a dual disk setup offered for the Z? You could use a less aggressive compound with two disks and a floater. Might rattle with the clutch pedal down a little but this is how some of the higher powered V8s are getting the power down. The Indy folks use multiple disks too I'm pretty sure - their flywheels are tiny! icon_eek.gif

About dang time i can post a message on this topic.I talked with timz and he thinks 500 is a bit much for a clutch which i agree but i didn't have anything to compare it to.I'm going to try clutch specialties to see if they can get me an affordable non chattering clutch that will hold the power.Tim has been bery helpful with the whole clutch thing he has taken alot of time to explain the differences to me and what is better and what is junk.Shane what do you run in your z? Any one had good luck with their clutches on their turbo zs?If so let me know i'm in need of a big healthy clutch. icon_biggrin.gif

Blk...your calculations for surface area are on the right track, but you have to remember that the friction surface is a ring, not a solid disk. You would need to get the area of the inside radius, and subtract it's resulting surface area to get the area of the ring.

Also, probably more important than the actual surface area is the longer moment arm that the larger diameter disk creates.

I agree with TimZ. I don't have the calcs in front of me, but the average diameter and the surface area matter. The diameter is a large contributor.

I'm having problems with the turbo small engine needing more clutch than a V8. What matters is the torque on the clutch - that depends on what the engine can put out and the gear the car is in (the overall ratio). Yes, the shock of the turbo coming on tap does have a slight effect, but it's the torque that matters most.

Sorry, one of the resident mechanical engineers HAD to pipe up on that one.

Yes lots of things to consider when buying a clutch, over do it and you will have chatter and unsmooth engagment, or worse a pile of tranny parts like alot of DSM owners.

The AWD talon is probably hardest on the clutch because of the following.

1) Major traction with AWD

2) Small surface area of clutch

3) High RPM launches used to prevent bogging

4) Around double the power of what it is designed to do can be easily produced.

I am surpised not to hear about more clutch explosions in the DSM world.