HybridZ

Coolant Overflow Tank Question

Well, I am about to replace my old plastic coolant overflow tank with an aluminum one. The question I have is....Which one of these two should I get?

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/fullView.asp?id=124686896&fc=0&img=http://sagelwwa.fatcow.com/826-111-101.jpg

http://www.stealthwork.com/obx-high-pressure-universal-coolant-reservoir-tank-p-209.html?language=en&name=OBX+High+Pressure+Universal+Coolant+Reservoir+Tank

The Weapon R one looks like it vents into the atmosphere while the OBX one looks like it is sealed. To me, I like the looks of a Weapon R but The OBX might be better.. If i am correct, shouldn't I get the OBX one because it's sealed and keeps the system pressurized?

Thanks again for the help...One Step Closer to My RB Swap (^_^)

The sealed tank is generally required on any race track to prevent coolant from getting on the track. The vented tank is normal for a street car.

Why would a coolant overflow tank be named "Weapon R"? "Careful, there's a Weapon R coolant overflow tank under the hood of that Dastun. Keep the children back."

I would wait for the "Weapon R V-TEC Type R" overflow tank. Its good for another 40 horsepower.

ROFLMAO.....hahahahahahahaha it's more like 50 horses added..and for every sticker that's 20 more horses....I would really like to get a trusted brand...but I don't want to pay like 200+ for it... so I want a decent brand. Plus Weapon R's webpage is what really drove me in to think about it (All The pretty models)..ROFL I'm just an goof..

I'm sure the parts are well made and work as advertised. I just think the name is funny.

"Hey John, who made the coolant tank in your Z's engine compartment?"

"Arrrggghhh matey. That's one of dem dar Weapon Arrrrggghhhhsss!"

"I didn't know it was talk like a pirate day."

• 2 weeks later...

Another alternative brand that is reasonable is CUSCO. They have lots of these little parts that are not so expensive but very nice.

Every so often, you can also find Greddy and HKS parts that are reasonable. Signal Auto also has some nice looking tanks.

Heineken mini keg........I'm goin to buy one and make it just for fun.....My friends will love it once they see the Heine under my hood....Might win a car show too lol but thats planned in the future....

part has not come yet.....but my back ordered oil pump is shceduled to come in on Wednesday...Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have all my parts...I'm going to make a posting about all the ordered parts for my car...I don't think it will be 56K friendly..

My '75 280z originally came without an overflow tank; just a hose that ran the overflow to the ground.

The overflow tank that was put on by a previous owner is an old 12oz. Pepsi can - pull tab type, not the kind with the tab attached.

Heineken mini keg........I'm goin to buy one and make it just for fun.....My friends will love it once they see the Heine under my hood....Might win a car show too lol but thats planned in the future....

part has not come yet.....but my back ordered oil pump is shceduled to come in on Wednesday...Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have all my parts...I'm going to make a posting about all the ordered parts for my car...I don't think it will be 56K friendly..

Mini Heineken Keg catch cans ftw! I want to put one in my car when its done :-D

• 5 years later...

Is there a recommended 'recovery' type of radiator cap people use when adding a coolant overflow tank to the older models? Or can you just use the ones from 77+ Z models when they started using coolant recovery setups?

ie. the stock cap (which I assume the one to be in my car) appears to only have the rubber seal and spring and not the extra valve to allow coolant back into the system when cooling after shutdown. Just wondering if there is one that people use that fits these radiators and has the right valve or seal positioning.

I know its an old thread but it seemed to be the most relevant one I could find to the question I had - thanks in advance.

The reservoir tanks were used before 1977.  The caps all divert overflow to a hose.  The only new question is whether or not the cap and radiator cap flange can hold a vacuum to pull the coolant back in.  There is no extra valve just two round rubber seals.  The main pressure relief spring and seal could be termed a valve.  But it's the only one.

I suppose I would argue that they are both effectively check valves, but that seems to be a matter of semantics.

But yes, by 'recovery' I suppose I meant "hold a vacuum to pull the coolant back in" - do you have a recommendation for a radiator cap to perform this function and fit a stock 240Z radiator?

Click on the Compatibility tab on the attached link and you'll find a few options.  I copied some of the Nissan models in a picture.

Could be that the upper rubber seal on yours just rotted away.  They do that.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MCS0/7013/03357.oap?year=1976&make=Nissan&model=280Z&vi=1209226&ck=Search_C2021_1209226_-1&pt=C2021&ppt=C0331

post-8864-0-28581600-1406654803_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed