HybridZ

Solid Cam With No Spraybar?

Doc Hawk

I'm concerned that the engine I just dropped in my Z might have a solid cam, while the cam towers are an internally oiled setup. It's an A-grind cam. When the motor is running, I am getting a "chirp" squeal/squeak from the #5/#6 area, up high in the motor either in the cam or in the valvetrain. It squeaks once per revolution and it is most apparent at idle.

How can I tell if the cam is drilled for oiling? If it is indeed a solid cam, can a cam be drilled for oil, or should I just get another cam? Lastly, if replacement, what stock grind should I look for to get the most streetable power?

I guess the other option is switching out the cam towers to a spraybar setup. Would that work as a drop-in swap?

Thanks,

David

C grind is actually the "best" by popular vote if you're sticking with stock cams.

All of the stock cams are puny. C grind is so slightly different than the others that I seriously doubt a dyno would show a difference outside of it's margin of error.

All of the stock cams are puny. C grind is so slightly different than the others that I seriously doubt a dyno would show a difference outside of it's margin of error.

I know, I was simply sticking to stock grinds as the thread was pertaining to them.

Besides the fact that just about every letter of the alphabet has been on the back of stock Z cams, The alleged "A" grind, if its old, could be either an L24 cam (externally oiled) or from an L28 (internally oiled). If you buy one new it will be internally oiled.

My racing class for this build only allows stock cams, so I'm stuck with 'em. Thanks for the input on the grinds; from the sound of it there just isn't enough difference to go to much trouble swapping cams for a different stock grind.