HybridZ

Drag race Z's anyone else in 9's with indep rear?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It is planting the tires it is just that the amount of force being aplied upwards to push down is not as much as the rear ward weight transfer so the springs begin to compress.

you do nto see this with ladder bars because the point of pivot is so far forward..

also when you have a limited tire size and limited pivot points IE non lader bar non 4 link some squat is required to put enough of the weight of the vehicle over the tires..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chassis squat can be bad on IRS, especially on the zcar design. The rear tire basically swings in a circular pattern on the control arm. When the rear end squats the bottom outside edge is no longer in contact with the ground and you loose traction. A stiffer rear spring will keep the tires more parallel.

Guest RON JONES

I have a stock Z that I Drive around.77 bone stock.Even in that Car the rear end squats when Your driving along and get on it.Front end doesn't rise,the ass end just goes down.Its not planting the tires.Yes,these cars hook great,but if You could get it to hook with out all that squat movement in the rear,they would pick up alot of E.T.(2 tenths is a lot in My eyes).BTW,thanks Clint,I didn't even think about how the tires ride on one side when it squats,good point.The bottom line is,these cars hook great because of the "squat",its just not the best way to get traction.

Guest Anonymous

RON yes its planting the tires EVEN IF THE front does not rise at ALL>> because as the rear sqauts .. guess what the springs are being compressed and pressing down on the tire harder..

there is NO axle to wind up and unload that tire..

yes it removes some of the TIRES contact patch as the tire swings in its arc..

BUT it is increaseing the amount of downward force on the tire..

also if your runign a slick that has a wrinkle side wall the patch is hardly afected as the tire is beign smooshed and the patch increases also as down force happens and the side walls flex dunring launch..

Guest Anonymous

I don't know what the going rate is where you are but I can buy slotted rotors for $70-$80 per corner to fit your stock brakes. A rear disk conversion is very easy and affordable too if you year doesn't have them. I get the rotors (datsun part) and calipers (VW type3)and fab up a little bracket. Calipers are $100 for pair and rotors are $150-$160 for pair. Obviously you are handy so it would be a peice of cake.

Jake

Guest Anonymous

new best time.. took the car to the track with the limited slip 3.70 r-200 from a 300 sx and ran a 9.78 with the 250 shot on it at 148.7 mph.. but i ran out of gear with my 26 inch tire..

I think 153 + is doable no problem if i get me a 28 inch tire under it or a 3.54 rear end..

NOt going back without a cage its starting to scare me now .. it actualy goes much straigther with this rear but dam its just to fast..

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: 1fstz ]