HybridZ

Gabriel Ryder

I ordered 4 Gabriel Ultra strut inserts from autozone, they shipped me the gabriel ryder with valve sensing tech. The part#'s are the same. Looks like they phased out the ryder in '03 when the ultra came out. I paid $140 shipped. They look just as good as KYB gr-2's. Gas, twin tube, variable valving. Should I keep them or return them for the ultra version if it's available(that I paid for).? I called Gabriel and they said the ultra is better but this is still a great shock??? They are going in my bone stock 78 280z 5spd. PIA

Chris

I ordered 4 Gabriel Ultra strut inserts from autozone, they shipped me the gabriel ryder with valve sensing tech. The part#'s are the same. Looks like they phased out the ryder in '03 when the ultra came out. I paid $140 shipped. They look just as good as KYB gr-2's. Gas, twin tube, variable valving. Should I keep them or return them for the ultra version if it's available(that I paid for).? I called Gabriel and they said the ultra is better but this is still a great shock??? They are going in my bone stock 78 280z 5spd. PIA

Chris

That's up to you, obviously. I look at a few things:

1. You ordered Ultras.

2. The manufacturer admits that Ultras are better.

My conclusion is thus:

1. Ultras must be higher performance

2. Ultras must cost more and that's what you paid for.

I called Gabriel and they said the ultra is better but this is still a great shock???

They are not a great shock. The are about the same as the stock shocks that came with the car back in 1978 and sound like they will be fine for your car.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...