HybridZ

POR15 on the entire body?

username

anyone ever use por15 on the entire body?

everywhere. not just the chassis, but the finished surfaces as well.

if you blast the chassis, the por15 it, it should work. they sell fillers for use on top of por15.

then a nice coat of chaasis coat(satin black).

i think it would look great, rust proof the entire for life.

any thoughts or stories?

i have only used it in small areas before, not on a scale as large as teh whole car.

thanks

tony

yes i know.

chassis coat is the top coat for the por15. it is uv resistant. has a very nice smooth satin finish.

my question, has anyone every por15 the body surface, then painted or whatever.

what did it look like? nice and smooth, lots of runs, spiderwebs,fisheyes,etc.

i know it wont ever come off once cured. i have used it before.

but i like the idea of sealing the entire shell for all enternity.

You got that right. A couple years ago I painted POR-15 around my battery tray to kill the start of some surface rust. A year later I pulled the engine and was using a wire wheel on an angle grinder to knock off all the factory paint to prepare to paint the rest of the engine bay. When I got to the battery tray area the wire brush had no effect on the POR-15.

i know it wont ever come off once cured. i have used it before.

but i like the idea of sealing the entire shell for all enternity.

POR 15 has (had?) a primer/sealer that you paint over POR15 to provide a base for a top coat. I used it, but I didn't like it much. It was very clumpy and I had to sand it a lot to smooth it out to the point that it was suitable for a top coat. I used their recommended thinner for spraying, but it didn't help. Perhaps I got a bad can or something. A better approach may be to spray a regular light primer over the POR15 while it is still tacky. Or lightly sand the dried POR15 prior to applying a primer.

Nigel

I've done an entire frame before (my Suburban, 18ft long). The frame had been sandblasted prior, and we didn't have to thin the POR-15 at all before spraying it. The result is great. Made sure to be plenty careful, no runs. Did two coats and now its set for life. I've also done the underside of the body and firewall of it with a paint brush. The brush does great work as well because the POR-15 is so thick it fills in brush lines.

In short, I'd have it straightened, media blasted, and spray the whole sucker if you never wanted rust again. Then just prep the surface and spray the primer and color of your choice.

Only concern I would have is final thickness. Two coats adds up with this stuff. I also have a can of the Blackcote which is gloss and UV protected. Goes on just like normal POR-15, but doesn't fade into another color after prolonged sun exposure. Doesn't need a basecoat or anything.

P.S. cover the ground (and everything else) before you spray. Two years on the concrete still has a protective coating in one of the shop's bays.