HybridZ

Rear disc brake HELP!

Quick question guys - n00b to HybridZ, but not to Datsuns or forums...

Restoring an S30 (72) from the ground up, complete disassembly / reassembly. I'm reassembling the chassis and suspension...

I've reassembled the parts I have for the rear brakes, and for the life of me can't tell what this rear configuration is (I bought the rear disc conversion amongst a ton of other parts).

It looks like something is missing, and I'm not even sure what calipers these are...

Can someone shed some light on:

1) What part I'm missing besides pads

2) What the calipers are from

3) Which upgrade setup this is

Much appreciated guys - Pic to follow:

3-2-14037-l-UCwBRwbU9KI3JLujTxRL8A.jpg

:burnout: You should have the early model (79) brake caliber setup for the 280ZX. If you are using them on a 240Z or 280Z, you should have the later 280ZX model rotors (small hat) but doesn't look like it is? You are missing the retaining pins and clips that hold the brake pads in. Also missing the rattle clips that move the pads away from the rotors. Check out a 280ZX repair book to find out what the parts that are missing and their location in the assemble. Then go to auto parts store and get a parts kit from them with the parts needed in it. I have that setup on my z right now. Do you have the 1/4" flat plate mounting system holding the calibers on? From what I see you have the later (79) (large hat) model rotor. Would love to see what kind of mounting system you have. I am currently working on a three hole mounting plate for my next car. I have a four hole split plate system on my road car right now. May even go to a two hole mounting plate. A lot of old GT-2 Z cars had the two hole mounting system on their cars and it worked for them (one of them even advertised a two hole mounting system on the internet not to long ago). I will be using the 280ZXT rotors and the front 280ZX calibers on the back. Don't know yet what front calibers I will be using. The system you have is considered a bolt on do it yourself system (poor man/cheap man system) (you can get all the parts from the junk yard and do it yourself type). Good Luck with the brakes, Rich.:mparty:

:coollook: Don't know if I am looking at the picture right. But it does look like you need to move that caliber to the other side. The brake bleeder needs to be up postion for proper bleeding. As I see it, it is now in the bottom position and will leave air in the system while bleeding. Also what kind of front brakes do you have? I had to remove the brake bais from the system. It is located on the early 240Z in the area above the rear axle (passenger side), you can remove it and add a adjustable model or (depending on front brakes) just move the line over and reattach it to the line that was left after removing the brake bais part. I have the 300Zx front rotors with the S-12W Toyota calibers and have found the brakes to be great without the adjustable brake bais model added. :-D

Rich, thanks tons for your insight.

I think the pic might be rotated 90 deg... I'll double-check bleeder orientation. I don't know why but the more I look at these, the "odder" they seem...

I'll pull my Z31 manual and get the missing parts (and of course, then I'll find them in a baggie under my workbench, haha)

Front brakes are 83 Toy 4x4 with Z32 rotors as well. I just fully rebuilt the calipers and reassembled the fronts, and removed the proportioning valve... will post up an article soon.

I typically do a full walkthrough on these projects, start to finish, with lots of pics - Here's the article I did on my heavily-modded 240sx Convertible (KA-T, 400+ hp): http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/vert-proj/vert-part1.shtml

(Caution, it's 10 parts long, really tasty stuff starts in ch. 7 and 8) :-D

Thanks again, Rich!

You have the early (i.e., 1979-81) 280ZX rear calipers and rear rotors. The caliper bracket (hidden from view in your picture) could either be the Jim Cook Racing one (vintage 1991) or the flagrant Eric Chapman copy or even the Nissan made bracket (see thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126031). This is a perfectly acceptable set-up.

…Front brakes are 83 Toy 4x4 with Z32 rotors as well…

That is an almost impossible combination to use on an S30. I think you mean “a 1986-88 4x4 caliper with a Z31 front rotor (and the rotor spacer)“. The 1979-84 4x4 caliper is designed for a solid rotor and the Z32 rotors will not fit unless you use a custom hub.

…Don't know if I am looking at the picture right. But it does look like you need to move that caliber to the other side. The brake bleeder needs to be up position for proper bleeding…

Yes, that caliper pictured is upside down!

For the hardware kit you need to get a Beck Arnley 084-0930.

Beck Arnley 084-0930 Disc Brake Hardware Kit_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve - Time to swap calipers L to R then!

My typo - Meant Z31 F rotor (my S13 ran Z32 rotors until I switched to 03-04 Z/G Brembo rotors)... Too many Frankensteins in the garage!!

Thanks for the PN on the hardware kit, MUCH appreciated... :icon14: