HybridZ

Car Craft October issue 2008 how to hook a LS block to a early style trans!

FYI, as the title says, it has GREAT info on how to install your egisting trans to a LSx motor! I've been looking for this info for a long time! I checked CarCrafts website and the issue's info isn't even on there yet! so you'll have to find a hard copy to find out the info. But 5 of the 6 bolt holes line up on the rear of the block, LSx crank flange is 0.400 further inboard( closer to the block) than the Gen1 blocks. The crank/flywheel bolt pattern is differnet between the early/late gen1 and Lsx cranks. So a special 168 tooth flywheel from Mccloud can be purchased to remidy both issues of the 0.400 offset and the bolt pattern! witch mean that a standard Gen1 11 inch Pressure plate and disc have to be purchased. (Not unless your already running a 11 inch PP/disc, then you don't )And then Finally a specail pilot bearing adapter will need to be added to the Lsx crank to support the trans input shaft. I'll see if I can scan the issue and post it later for all the part numbers needed for such a swap!

FYI, as the title says, it has GREAT info on how to install your egisting trans to a LSx motor! I've been looking for this info for a long time! I checked CarCrafts website and the issue's info isn't even on there yet! so you'll have to find a hard copy to find out the info. But 5 of the 6 bolt holes line up on the rear of the block, LSx crank flange is 0.400 further inboard( closer to the block) than the Gen1 blocks. The crank/flywheel bolt pattern is differnet between the early/late gen1 and Lsx cranks. So a special 168 tooth flywheel from Mccloud can be purchased to remidy both issues of the 0.400 offset and the bolt pattern! witch mean that a standard Gen1 11 inch Pressure plate and disc have to be purchased. (Not unless your already running a 11 inch PP/disc, then you don't )And then Finally a specail pilot bearing adapter will need to be added to the Lsx crank to support the trans input shaft. I'll see if I can scan the issue and post it later for all the part numbers needed for such a swap!

Please do; very interested in this...

I have a subscription to Car Craft, and looking at the article I get a rough $575 for the parts list on converting an auto over to a Gen III. Would be good if you already have a built TH350/400, but how much would it cost to put a 4L60E up to equal strength? Not to much more to get the complete engine and transmission when getting a Gen III pullout.

Hard to beat OD if it is a street car too.

It really is interesting seeing what can be done. Sometimes I REALLY wish I didn't live in California. Articles on guys slapping on turbos to stock blocks in late model Mustangs and Camaros eats me up sometimes. Quite alright if you are pre '75, but I wish the fun was for all.

FYI, as the title says, it has GREAT info on how to install your egisting trans to a LSx motor!

We did a T10 conversion for a race car and used the quicktime bellhousing that sets the tranny forward and had to manufacture the special pilot bushing. Later found that the LS7 bearing is very similar. Now it looks like Mcleod has an offering too.

I was pretty excited about the article when I got the magazine but that didn't last long. It read to me more like a advertisement for buying a Mcleod flywheel. If you want a light weight flywheel then you have to look at the above option using the LS style flywheel. They mostly glossed over the use of an annular throwout bearing info.

It would have been nice if they would have discussed more options for clutch and pressure plates to use the lower cost chevy parts. Oh wait, if I buy the Mcleod flywheel I can do that too. I give it a half thumbs up. But most of the info already seems to be on this forum.

Cary

finally another good alternative to the gay T56

the transmissions have always been able to bolt up, and the TCI flexplate has provisions for both early and later torque converters. guys have been putting th350s and th400s behind LSx motors for the past 9 years or so. the biggest part of that article was where they had the flywheel for manuals that works. that there is worth looking into more.

I do not have the technical know how to separate the different options out of the parts list. How much would retrofitting a M2x or a T10 cost? Tremecs and their ilk are pretty expensive right out of the gate, but some of the adapter prices aren't that cheap either.

So basically:

How does the cost of a new Gen III compatible manual compare to the total cost of adapting a SBC box?

Getting a good price might be good for some of the budget 5.3L builds going on out there.

Thank you GOD.

I am so tired of finding threads on the internet where people inquire about this, and they just get shot down by people with half-assed knowledge, like we're not supposed to know the limitations of a stock T-5.

I think I might just subscribe to Car Craft because of this. This is awesome. I still plan on using a T-5 on my 5.3 in my 240sx. Thank you posting this when you did OP. I'm going to buy the mag on my lunch break today.

Well after speeding to three different places during my half-hour lunch, then hitting two places on the way home, THEN calling my cross-town Barnes and Noble to see if they have it (before wasting my time driving there), I actually strike gold and drive to my sixth destination in order to grab the October 2008 issue.

The verdict?

I love Car Craft. They laid out beautifully what works and why it does, the critical geometry with the clutch parts. Moreover, every part, along with it's part number and price was made available (some parts said you have to call to get the part number).

If you're considering getting using a Gen I manual transmission in lieu of space savings and weight savings, BUY THIS ISSUE.

It also details critical information about using a Gen I auto transmission on your LSx engine.