HybridZ

Cutting out at 4500rpm

HoustonZ

I've been chasing this annoying problem ever since installing megasquirt v3/EDIS/holset. At approximately 4500rpm in any gear, the engine appears to hit a rev limiter and refuses to rev any higher. It sounds like it is losing spark or not igniting properly. My AFR is 10.5 under WOT. My plugs are at .035. I thought it was my VR sesnor cable, so I replaced it with a brand new shielded unit, no difference.

You can see a good example of this in my datalog at 286 seconds in. In 2nd gear it just flatlines at 4300.

boost.zip

I've been chasing this annoying problem ever since installing megasquirt v3/EDIS/holset. At approximately 4500rpm in any gear, the engine appears to hit a rev limiter and refuses to rev any higher. It sounds like it is losing spark or not igniting properly. My AFR is 10.5 under WOT. My plugs are at .035. I thought it was my VR sesnor cable, so I replaced it with a brand new shielded unit, no difference.

You can see a good example of this in my datalog at 286 seconds in. In 2nd gear it just flatlines at 4300.

Stupid question, but you do have your "Rev Limiter" set to be over 4500rpm ?

Fuel Set-up / Rev Limiter

Nigel

I have an innovate LC1 with the wonderful defective DAC circuit so the output to megasquirt isn't working. I monitor the realtime AFR through Innovate Logworks software. It works nicely, minus the ability to autotune. My AFR is 14:1 at cruise, 12.5 under light throttle, and 11:1 at WOT.

What are you using for an air filter and intake tubing? When I was using the factory turbo rubber boot, it would collapse under vacuum if the steel liner was taken out of it. Maybe the ignition moduled is defective. Is your VR sensor bracket or 36-1 wheel vibrating at 4500 rpms?

Running a holset hy35w with a 24x12x3 intercooler and 3" pipes. Screen mesh on the turbo inlet. Right now I'm running with the wastegate open while I tune.

I have 45psi of fuel pressure, good looking plugs, no pinging or detonation, a steady 13v under load. Yesterday I reduced the spark plug gap to .025 thinking it might have been the spark blowing out, no difference.

I should note that even in neutral it flat lines at 4500, so this isn't a load related problem.

I'm running through the ford module and simply using the PIP and SAW signals with megasquirt. I verified that my timing is actually changing with a timing light, and there doesn't seem to be anything crazy happening. It pulls pretty hard up to about 4300, then starts to trail off.

When I get home from work I'm going to try to run a ground wire straight from the module to my battery terminal. Right now it runs back to my under-dash master ground strip.

If you are running 10.5 AFR during WOT in lower revs and it drops even half a point (10.0:1) then you are probably choking your motor with fuel. You are already on the border of doing it now. Lean it out some and see if that isn't why it won't get into the next load cell. Back off the timing a tad if you are worried about knock, but you should be able to hit 11.5:1 at WOT on pump gas.

• 2 weeks later...