HybridZ

Oh No!! Myth Busters used a Datsun!

josh817

lol, yeah, but these tv stars take pleasure in simple things like destroying a car by dropping it from a giant crane

and blowing up stuff to see what happens

and blowing up buster

did I mention they like blowing stuff up?

Oh, and hurting adam. They seem to like doing that too.

like the time adam blew his eyebrow off and burned his hair

and the time they made him pee on an electric fence

and the time they electricuted him

and the time adam thought it was smart to stick his face up to a vacuum motor (which ripped a chunk off his lip)

haha I could go on and on. it's really funny seeing adam get hurt >_>

With a forklift you can adjust left/right placement of both forks AND the up/down pitch.

There's plenty of things down there to lift off of that would hold up fine.

I think you guys are being a bit anal. You should see how most shops use their 4 point lifts...

Seriously, I am with Gollum on this one.

How can using a forklift, which at LEAST contacts two points on one frame rail (if it wasnt done RIGHT) is any more dangerous than using a hydraulic jack at one single point of a frame rail, which I do all the time at the shop if I lift the car. A very lowered car either needs to be driven onto long and slightly inclined ramps before jacking it up, or you have to go one corner at a time... My uncle has a roadster, and they came with small "patches" on each rocker panel. Pop the [patch off, there is a little hole that the factory service jack slips a peg into, and it lifts the entire side of the car at once. My uncle had a few sets of "lollipops" fabricated so that he can just use a hydraulic jack on the "lollipop" protruding from the hole.

Now, done RIGHT, the forklift forks were adjusted side to side, and in and out (by approaching or backing off from the car) and then angled to hit the two frame rails at the same level, giving four broad contact patches to lift the vehicles weight.

I would call a forklift or a four point lift the SAFEST way to lift a car; hydraulic jack balanced on a central point lifting either axle might be the second, and a jack lifting one frame rail one corner at a time the third, then that same jack lifting the entire SIDE of the car fourth. Personally, I would consider all four of these options to be as reasonable as the equipment used to lift it.

Was it a Datsun Forklift?

EDIT

It looks like they lifted it by the 80 pound rear bumper. I would be hard pressed to find a more safe way to lift it (safe to the vehicle; NOT safe to get underneath and whack at a stuck spindle pin; it could slip off if jarred awful)

The bumper mounts weigh what, 5, 8 pounds apiece?? They tie straight into the rear truncation of the frame rail. If the vehicle is solid at ALL thats the most solid and most eccentric lifting point. Just firmly chock the front wheels (may as well park in front of a wall for good measure) and you couldnt be much more golden, unless you lifted it and then bolted the bumper mounts to a solid bar that was welded to posts set in concrete.....