HybridZ

Mystery Race Car

Pete84

http://www.cheetahcars.com/index.htm

from what I read on that site, it was built to be a cobra killer, powered by a corvette v-8

to get the engine that far back, they didn't use a drive shaft, and the ujoint on the rear diff is linked to the output shaft on the trans.

100 were planned to be built for it to be classed as a production car, but after 16 cars a fire broke out, and no more were built. 11 cars were completed, and 8 survive today.

Cool car but kinda ugly when compared to a s30 if you ask me.
They're much better-looking in person, believe me.

My neighbor used to have one of those in his carport. He invited me over to look at it after striking up a conversation while I was doing the brakes on my Z in the driveway. It's been a year or so, and he (and the car) disappeared a few months back (I think he died :(), but I think he had a 427 in it. I know he had a TH400, which I recognized since I had one apart in the garage at the time, and I was very surprised that there was no real driveshaft - just a single U-joint.

He did mention having chopped out a few inches in the middle, and he'd glassed the doors shut, and then told me that he was now very unhappy having done so because in a conversation with a former Thomas employee (Don Edmunds?), they'd become fairly strongly convinced that his now heavily-modified car was an original (fiberglass) Cheetah.