HybridZ

tim240z's r230 mounting bracket pics

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have one as a template, I would be more than happy to copy it for anyone else...I'd probably make it a bit neater since it won't be for me. That includes the trans bracket. It is made for a 200 4R and will also fit a TH400 (same mounting place as 200 4R) and I have a 700R4 casing so I can do that one too.

Tim

I wouldn't mind an R230 front bracket, sign me up and send me a price icon_biggrin.gif Lemme' know if you find cheaper prices on those CVs and if you decide to try to get a group buy on the axles andor stub adapters for the R230. I honestly hope that I don't ever require an R230 but I'd switch if it could be put together as a bolt-in. Heck, my LSD R200 and CVs would probably sell high enough on ZCar that it wouldn't be too painful icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Right on man! I have an r230 with less than 68,000 miles on it that I paid way too much for back when I thought it was going to be totally necessary! I intend to install it at a later date but if progress like this keeps coming maybe it won't be so long! I want to be near the front of the line when the cv's are ready! I really want to abuse my tires with 40,50,60,70mph fourth gear clutch dumps and lots of rolling burnout smoke!! icon_razz.gif

We chatted some last night about this. axles were being quoted at $110 each, CVs were $76 each at the dealer, and adapters like Ross is working on but for the 230 hadn't been specced out. Not including the diff we were over $500 pretty quick icon_sad.gif Don't forget front mount costfabrication too. icon_eek.gif

Diffs can be gotten for less than $300 and are a viscous LSD which is cool IMO. Ratios were 3.54 or 4 series I believe. Not sure which I'd want for my car but if I stumble across one I'll grab it for the right price.

Hopefully CVs on my car will fix the breakage but if a group buy is put together for the custom parts needed to do this I'm all for it and would contribute. We'll see, Tim's still working this all out for himself so perhaps when done a few of us can follow his lead icon_smile.gifbonk.gif

I have no idea of price for the R230 mount, but I'll work something out. The only variable will be which Mustache bar you will be using. I have made my mount to fit with the R180 Mustache bar. I would need to pick up a R200 one to make a new Diff mount for that setup.

If you guys are interested, let me know via email and I will get going.

Tim

PS, if anyone has an extra R200 mustache laying around and wants to donate for the cause......otherwise I'll be heading out to pick n pull or the like.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The 230 is vicous >Not GOOD you all realize with a viscous rear you loose 29% too 48% through it !!! HEAT BABY Just LIKE 400 trans.I got that lecture too .Not the max of about 25% through a regular driveline.

Umm, this isn't a torque cnverter we're talking about. There's a solid connection in there somewhere that can have some slip. I'll admit I don't fully understand how it works but 48% is just plain crazy. For that matter 29% soounds like an awful lot. Where is this documented? What do 300ZX TTs dyno at compared to flywheel power? Figure another few percent for the trans and we're talking over 30% power loss? They weren't THAT slow were they?

Maybe they were talking about one of those AWD diffs that shuttle power front to back depending upon slip?

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK Larry laughed so hard when I said vicious also corrected my pronoucement ! When he told me I was drop jawed too .With as much as I have bothered him with my cam questions i will get the low down on these.But I am sure of the #s.GLAD I BUILT THE DYNO COMPUTER!! I can be a pest icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Where did you find this out? Can you provide links/info? I find it VERY hard to believe that a diff would be losing up to 48% in a straight line in this day and age. Seems like a pretty unacceptable compromise if you ask me, in terms of mileage, emissions, etc...

Guest Anonymous

Guys, is this the beginning of "The Great VLSD Scare?" In theory, it IS possible to lose up to 48% but the R230 DOES NOT lose that much, I can attest to that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to take Lexus SC400's on the freeway after a 4-drive from Jersey. A tech from Infiniti stated that the Q45 has a 26% frictional loss and much of that can be attributed to the driveshaft, it's huge!

I maybe a tike but I have taken apart some Viscous LSD's to know the in's and out's and here's the lowdown on how they operate.

At the end of the two shafts, there are basically disks. The discs spins accordingly to the speed that the wheels are spinning. Of course, when turning you're going to lose some grip, the faster you go, more grip will be lost. The wheel will spin faster as it loses grip and likewise so will the disc. As this happens, the Silicone diff fluid will heat up and thicken, similar to ATF and this will cause the spinning disc to "grab" the opposing one. About the only time the fluid heats up significantly is during hard turns but that's also why the R230 is finned. As soon as you're going straight again, the temp will cool down pretty quickly. Even hard-lapping around a course teeming with turns will not cause any severe degradation in the diff's performance. Hope this clarify things. icon_biggrin.gif