HybridZ

LT1 Power?

What kind of power can be made out of an LT1

with bolt on's ect.

Received my Factory Service manual for my 90 300zx and have the motor out. and an LT1 will fit in the engine bay!!!!!

I also have located a 96 LT1/T56 combo with 38,000 miles on it for $2,500.00 so I plan on trying to pick it up this weekend.

3.jpg

Guest Fast Frog

Scarp:

A lot depends upon cam, heads and cr. I've got an aftermarket LT-1 type setup on my 383 with Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and a Crane Hyd roller cam with modest lift and duration. Also running 9.5:1 cr. Mine's rated at 375HP+/-(@ sea level of course) @ 5200rpm. I believe my cam is a little beefier than the LT-1. My cam is not very wild due to the fact I was running with a Paxton until recently. Forced induction and wild cams usually don't go well together. With Crane's "661" hyd roller cam and a cr of 10.5:1, 450-475HP @ 5500 rpm is possible(this is with a 383 of course).

I think most of the oem 350ci LT-1 setups were rated at 275 -325HP-still fairly healthy for a small Z car.

quote:

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

Scarp:

A lot depends upon cam, heads and cr. I've got an aftermarket LT-1 type setup on my 383 with Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and a Crane Hyd roller cam with modest lift and duration. Also running 9.5:1 cr. Mine's rated at 375HP+/-(@ sea level of course) @ 5200rpm. I believe my cam is a little beefier than the LT-1. My cam is not very wild due to the fact I was running with a Paxton until recently. Forced induction and wild cams usually don't go well together. With Crane's "661" hyd roller cam and a cr of 10.5:1, 450-475HP @ 5500 rpm is possible(this is with a 383 of course).

I think most of the oem 350ci LT-1 setups were rated at 275 -325HP-still fairly healthy for a small Z car.

Are you running Fuel Injection or a carb?

I understand the HOT cam for the LT1 is the ticket (from what I have heard)

will the fast burn heads fit an LT1?

I am old school and not up on the newer motors. icon_sad.gif

2.jpg

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: scarp ]

Scarp,

I'm in the process of putting this exact combination into my 260Z. I'm assuming your engine and tranny came out of a Camaro or Firebird and these were rated at 285 HP and approximately 230 HP at the rear wheels. HorsepowerTV a few weeks back did a "bolt on" buildup of a 94' LT1 Camaro so we are talking apples to apples. They put on headers, catback exhaust, larger injectors, under drive pulleys, high flow mass airflow sensor, and a Jet Power control module- I think that was it. With all these bolt on parts in place and putting the car back on the dynamometer they picked up about 40HP at the wheels. Not cheap for only 40hp, but getting horsepower from an engine is not an inexpensive proposition. I'm still perplexed by the fact that the ZZ4 crate engine is rated at 350hp and it's basically a LT1 with the exception of 4 bolt vs. 2 bolt in the case of the LT1, and a slightly more aggressive cam. One figure must be net hp in the case of the LT1 and gross hp for the ZZ4, but I can't confirm that and nobody I've talked to could give me the correct scoop.

The real hp gains that I've been able to see from reading everything I can on the LT1 be it in magazines or the Internet is swapping out the heads and cam (i.e. L.G. Motorsports) which can be done for around $2500. Doing the HorsepowerTV mods and swapping out the heads and cam and you are in the 400-450hp ATRW. Personally, I would just change out the mild cam, put headers and a good exhaust system together and I bet a 50-60hp increase over the stock 285hp is very achievable without costing a ton of money. Good heads however is where you can make a lot of hp but I think everybody at HybridZ knows this - but it costs.

Danno74Z

PS The Fast Burn heads are not compatible on the LT1 engine. The LT1 is a reverse cool engine - Heads first block second. The heads must be designed specifically for the LT1. To my knowledge just a few manufactures make aftermarket heads for the LT1 motor. However, many more shops such as LAP Racing and Agostino Racing Engines will port, polish and put bigger valves in the OEM heads and achieve great results.

quote:

Originally posted by Danno74Z:

Scarp,

I'm assuming your engine and tranny came out of a Camaro or Firebird and these were rated at 285 HP and approximately 230 HP at the rear wheels.

This motor/trans is out of a 96 Corvette.

HHMMM lets see If I pocket port the head's and put the HOT cam in it, Will I need to upgrade the injector's????

400+ HP sounds good and that will be my goal (But I would take more icon_biggrin.gif )

Vortec would also be considered. (6 psi boost)

6.jpg

Scarp,

If the engine is indeed out of a 1996 Vette and I maybe wrong here, I thought all these were the LT4 engine - the big brother to the LT1. If it is the LT4 it will have a bright red intake as a dead give-a-way. This engine produced 340hp had 1.6 aluminum rocker arms and a higher compression ratio. This would be a great find.

Your 300ZX is very nice car!

Danno74Z

Guest Frank280z

Yeah that should be an LT4. If its out of a vette. F bodies had the LT1. Thank crane for their gold race rockers for the extra 30hp. Thought they were rated at 330hp? That will be an awesome setup. On hotrod tv last month they had a camaro 90ish with an LT1. Twin vortechs. Detailed to the pan. A bit much. But they said somewhere around 650+/- at the flywheel. icon_eek.gif

Frank, Scarp,

I went back and did a little research and the LT4 engine was an option put in the Grand Sport (only 1000 made)and Collector Edition versions. It might of also been put in a special Camaro or Firebird but I'm not sure. The stock Vette engine at that time put out 300HP and you are right on the LT4 at 330HP my 340 was the torque.

So, Scarp you indeed may "only" have an LT1 at 300HP which was achieved with a true duel exhaust system in the Vette and some intake tweaking over the 285HP for the Camaro. Still in my opinion a great setup but I'm just a little biased. icon_wink.gif

Danno74Z

[ May 23, 2001: Message edited by: Danno74Z ]

Guest Fast Frog

Scarp:

Yes, I'm running with Accel's aftermarket FI. It uses an aftermarket LT-1 type mini-ram manifold which fits most pre 87 blocks and oem heads. If one uses aftermarket alum heads, it doesn't matter. The beauty of an Accel setup(and several other aftermarket FI sys)is that you can program it for the appropriate fuel and ignition curve. You can ran as hot a cam as you like and program fuel "map" to accommodate it! Oem FI sys are run by RAM chips, albiet, one can get diff chips for certain engine modifications.

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, my first post...

The LT1 is different than earlier 350's because of their reverse flow cooling, keep that in mind. LT1's were stock on corvettes, LT4's had different heads, cam, and I think roller rockers. The 1997 LT1 (last year in F-bodies) got the 300hp engine. The LT1 does have the same engine mounts on the block that match older style 350's. Direct Bolt-in. However, since you are getting a '96, you will need a different ECM. You need one for a 94-95, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for reprogramming an OBDII. ECM GM Part # is 16188051. Check out www.gmpartsdirect.com for cheapest rebuilt prices. you can have it reprogrammed by Andrew Mattei for like $30. Very good deal.

I just did a swap into my 1981 Camaro. It's on my homepage. You might need a different coil too. If you're into performance, remember that the heads have D-shape exhaust ports when you're getting headers. Since you are getting the corvette version, all accesories should be on the upper driver side. That's good. On the F-bodies, they were on the lower passenger side and the A/C had to be removed to fit into older camaros. Not sure if it would hit x-members on Zs though.

P.S.-I just built a 400hp/420ft-lbs small block 350 this past winter. I'll be looking for a Z to put it in this August.

-Nutt

im planning to go lt-1 /t56 in about 3-6 months, just debugged my current 327/m22 setup and i really like it right now, but i can see overdrive taking me places icon_smile.gif and the lt-1/t56 can be got for a somewhat ok price

how much horsepower/tq do you think a

relatively stock lt-1 motor with:

a mild cam

msd

exhaust and headers

modified air intake

roller rockers

im shooting for about 300 to the wheels, no less and hopefully a little more icon_smile.gif and lots of reliability here, and a car that will act both the part of hotrod and commuter. and i want to stare at the injection manifold for several hours each day! thanks for any help you can kick down to me, and one of these days what do you know, FAIRLADY LT-1?

Guest Anonymous

For that setup, I'd guess around 350hp at crank. Just a guess though. I never hopped up an LT1, just the older small blocks. If you're really intersted, try desktop dyno. And since you probably have the parts in mind that you want to use, ask the forum at www.camaroz28.com. There is an LT1 section, guys with a lot of experience. If you want to go supercharging a LT1, definately ATI Pro-charger. Its the best, and they have proof. 450hp on stock LT1, supercharger with intercooler. icon_biggrin.gif

I am the not so proud owner of a 97 TA with the LT1 and I am pretty sure it is rated at 285hp.. I am also in the process of installing an LT1 in my 78Z... I have found

a great source for aftermarket parts for the late model GM V8's.. Street & Performance

@ www.hotrodlane.com and TPIS.com