HybridZ

My RB30DET 240z is almost done!!

rbs30

Hey guys. After a solid week of work my rb30det z is almost done!! The engine and drivelinehave been done for quite a while but it looked like crap. I have finally finished painting it and it is almost back together. Cant wait to get back out there and start terrorising the streets again. Cant wait to hear that wastegate vent to atmosphere again. lol. Anyways, thought id just share a couple of progress pics.

13082008719.jpg

getting there

15082008732.jpg

no i didnt do the engine bay because im lazy and its not the worlds greatest paint job, i just wanted it to look decent.

15082008731-001.jpg

Thanks. The short engine by its self i dont think would have cost much as i did it all myself. The head rebuilt etc with the valves ground etc prob cost $1000 and the block with forgies, bearings etc prob $1500-1600 at a guess. Im in aus so rb30 stuff is fairly cheap.

The turbo is a GT35R with a 1.06 exh a/r on a pre-made manifold from the parts shop but i am working on a new steam pipe one at the moment to bring the turbo forward and down.

It has only been tuned to 15psi so far and at that it made 550 rwhp and the turbo is out of puff.

great work. i think it looks superb (minus the wheels :oops:).

550rwhp is damn good at 15psi.

is there another turbo in the near future? GT42 maybe? Boozt3d had great results on an near-stock RB26 with one of them.

Thanks. Probaly not the whhels i would have picked for the car either but i had them in the garage doing nothing so on they went. They look better than the old 14's anyway.

For the future im thinking either GT42 or To4z. Probaly go the whole hog and go the GT42. I'll just enjoy driving it for now but when the power level gets boring (as it always does) i will ugreade the turbo.

Hey Luke,

Nice work mate! She is looking really good! A million percent better than the pics you sent me when she was hand painted green :wink:

Hey i am coming over to the Muscle Car Masters at Eastern Creek Raceway on the 6-7th September. You wouldnt happen to be heading down there yourself would you, I would love to see the beast in the flesh (might motivate me to get back into mine) :wink:

I look forward to hearing some more awesome ET's

Cheers,

Clint.

Guest KRY-88S

Clint,

Please dont remind me of the green paint!

Dont think new about Muscle Car Masters, i know i didnt.

Car wont be ready for than tho. :(

Hey Luke,

Nice work mate! She is looking really good! A million percent better than the pics you sent me when she was hand painted green :wink:

Hey i am coming over to the Muscle Car Masters at Eastern Creek Raceway on the 6-7th September. You wouldnt happen to be heading down there yourself would you, I would love to see the beast in the flesh (might motivate me to get back into mine) :wink:

I look forward to hearing some more awesome ET's

Cheers,

Clint.

Thanks Clint. Long time no speak.

Yeah it is definatly looking better than before. Thats not hard though.

As Krystal said, i dont think it will be ready fo muscle car masters. I didnt even know about it. I might still go but prob wont take the zed as i have a lack of funding for rego:cry:

Yeah mate, been busy doing other stuff. Ok keep in touch then, me and two mates will be at the track, while girlfreind shops in Sydney :wink:

Would be cool to catch up with you there, pm me if you are going to head down for it, and i will give ya my cell number, shame no Z tho :-(

Clint.

No worries. I will let you know if im heading down.

Hi Luke,

Your car looks great and i am particularly impressed by your intercooler pipework - work of art mate.

Looking at your pics, it seems that you might be using the stock radiator?

If you are, then I would consider replacing it with a modern dual pass one. A guy that I know has fried his RB26 after only 2 weeks on the road - apparently due to the stock radiator being unable to disperse the heat quick enough whilst on boost.

I bet that your car will be amazing to drive though - does an RB30 qualify you to join NASA?

Cheers

Guest KRY-88S
when do you start seeing boost with the 1.06 turbine housing?

how close is the turbo to the bonnet(hood)

anyone know if the 6Boost hi-mount exhaust manifolds give the GT35's enough clearance in the Z's??

Answer to bonnet question- It has its own, it comes out the bonnet. Luke says (cause his a party pooper) "Its a bonnet scoop"

For a more technical response, please wait for Lukes answer

Good night Kids, dont let the bed bugs bite :icon14:

when do you start seeing boost with the 1.06 turbine housing?

how close is the turbo to the bonnet(hood)

anyone know if the 6Boost hi-mount exhaust manifolds give the GT35's enough clearance in the Z's??

I see boost at 2500-2800 and full boost by 3400ish but that said, it doesnt take long for them revs to get there because before you hit boost it is still a 3ltr engine so it has the torque to get up onto boost fairly quicky.

The turbo is sticking through the bonnet with that manifold and the 6boost manifold will do the same. On a rb30det in a zed you will need a custom manifold because they sit that bit higher than the rb's. Im in the process of making a steam pipe manifold to bring the turbo forward and down.

Hi Luke,

Your car looks great and i am particularly impressed by your intercooler pipework - work of art mate.

Looking at your pics, it seems that you might be using the stock radiator?

If you are, then I would consider replacing it with a modern dual pass one. A guy that I know has fried his RB26 after only 2 weeks on the road - apparently due to the stock radiator being unable to disperse the heat quick enough whilst on boost.

I bet that your car will be amazing to drive though - does an RB30 qualify you to join NASA?

Cheers

Thanks buddy.

No its not the the stock radiator. it is the stock tanks on a 4 row core.

Yeah its definatly nice to drive.