HybridZ

4pt harness opinion

bens1088

I am looking for some "nismo" harnesses, is it me or do these look cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__UNIVERSAL-NISMO-NISSAN-4-POINT-HARNESS-RACING-SEAT-BELT_W0QQitemZ310076839562QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310076839562&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

the total comes out to about $60 for each harness. I might do a little autox but nothing really serious. I'm going to be attaching them to a harness bar. It just seems a bit cheap to me, what are your opinions?

Thanks

Oh yeah reason for swaping is the nismo seats dont give too much room for the old seat belts which make them hang a bit and they are getting old which = hanging. Oh yeah they are also breaking from getting the door slammed on them lol. my as well use the seats with what they were designed for

I don't see anything about them being DOT, SCCA,or SFI approved. They do look very cheap and I probably wouldn't trust them to hold my butt in place in the event of a crash. If there is one thing that shouldn't be skimped on, it is safety equipment.

I would at least try and get some more info about them from the seller.

Oh and If you are in California I have read stories about some people getting tickets for driving with non-DOT approved seat belts, might be another thing to consider.

Kevin

I made a 4 point harness utilizing the stock passenger seat belt.

I have the SCCA roll bar and I fabbed a set of bars which bolt from the top of the bar to the rear of the pan.

I took out the passenger seat belt and "striker" (word?).

I removed the lap belt and all that I was left with was a belt on a roller with the stock mount.

I drilled a hole in the harness hoop which sits behind the seat attached to the rollbar.

Then I drilled a hole in one of my fabbed pan bars.

The stock seatbelt mount bolts right to these.

For the striker, I cut into the rail by the door and bolted it through this hole.

So, in effect it is an extra belt which is not mandatory to use at all times.

Oh and the best part is, since they are both stock, they are fully retractable...

AFAIK, there is only one brand of 4 point harness that is DOT approved and won't have you sliding under the lap belt and smashing your knees into the dash during a wreck. There was a wreck at Streets of Willow two years ago where the passenger was wearing a 4 point eBay harness. She broke both knees and her hip when the driver hit a K rail at 50 mph.

http://www.schrothracing.com

Oh and the best part is, since they are both stock, they are fully retractable...

Any pictures of your setup??

I just bought some Schroth harnesses on ebay so I just need to figure out how to mount it. What is the opinion for those universal harness bars?

They post mounting directions on their website. You need to put them at the right distances and angles so that it works like they are supposed to.

Search for "harness bar" and you'll see what some people use to mount harnesses.

Mario

Any pictures of your setup??

I just bought some Schroth harnesses on ebay so I just need to figure out how to mount it. What is the opinion for those universal harness bars?