HybridZ

Removing rear strut tube from hub?

I am increasing the rear track substantially (50+mm each side) by extending the transverse links. To avoid the negative camber that would result from this change I want to rebore the recess where the strut tube fits at an appropriate angle to bring the top of the strut back to the OEM mounting point, whilst maintaining zero camber.

Having stated that, do you have any advice?

Not really Ive never tried this and dont know what you will come up against...but what you say makes sense. If you have the equipment to rebore I guess you could also bore out the old tube if your first idea doesnt work out.

Does anyone know how to remove the strut tube from bearing housing (hub) without damaging the tube?

There appears to be a couple of weld runs on the bottom and I was wondering if I ground away the welds could I then press the tube out.

Yes. That will work. Press out the tube by applying force around the perimeter of the tube.

I’ve had to do this so I could turn the hub housing on a lathe. (I had to increase the bore diameter of the hub housing in order to use the Z31 stub axle.)

I addition to the welds at the bottom of the strut tube where its press fit into the casting, I've seen braze at the top joint of the hub/strut tube connection. I suspect the strut tubes are brazed in place as part of the press fit operation.

If you cut the welds and find it still difficult to press out the tube, try heating the hub casting to 900F and then pressing the tube out.

Al alternative to pressing the tube out is to machine a weld adapter at the correct angle, cut the tube off the casting, weld in the adapter, and then weld on the tube.