HybridZ

2+2 offset for 17x9.5 and 17x11

Ok I have searched thought 20 pages of threads and havent found what I am looking for.

I have a 1978 280Z 2+2. I am looking at wheels for it

17x9.5 front

17x11 rear

What would be the suggested offset for these wheels? I am looking at using the BAMF ZG flares to cover these.

The wheels I am looking at are Vintage Wheel Works V48. I like the fact that for $30 you can get custom offsets.

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels

Do a search on member "1 fast z " he has a post just below this one. Also, you have to provide more information on your suspension set-up, do you have coil overs? stock set-up with performance springs and strutst? what size tires are you plan on running? I have some of the BAMF flares as well, my suspension is rebuilt with performance springs and struts, I plan on running either 18 x 11 on the rear 4 inch backspace 315/30 18 tire or 17 x 11 between 3.75 and 4.25 backspace with 315/35 17 tire. Do a google search on home made backspace/offset tool that you can make, either Hot Rod magazine or Super Chevy did article on it and it works real well.

Dudeboy just mentioned backspace. Backspacing is what you want to make sure is correct for the car--depending on your suspension, you have different options. John Coffey has written some good answers to this very question elsewhere in the forum. Please search for "backspace" and "backspacing." I think you'll find some answers.

Davy

Thanks for your help...I did searches on wheels and wheel widths and I found a few cars with 10.5 inch wheels, but not 11 inch. Its only a half inch but I know it will matter. I will search on backspacing.

Suspension is still up in the air at this point. I want this car as a weekend cruiser...thats why I am staying with the auto when I do my V8 conversion. Might see an autocross track a few times or the drag strip, but I am not focusing on setting the car up for that. I want to be able to go to my car club meets, cruise-ins and rally's and have fun. I have read that I will probably have to run coilovers with this agressive of a wheel tire combo.

Tire sizes I am looking at would be

275/40/17 front

315/35/17 rears

No, you do not need coilovers to run wide wheels. The coilovers outside of the suspension benefits allow you to tuck the wheel/tires closer to the hub. I have heard about stresses on the bearings and hub with high negative offsets, but I have never witness a failure on a Z. I have seen these guys, that can not decide if they are lowriding or not with these wire wheels sticking way out. I know that is accident waiting to happen !!! Hopefully, ZR8ED can chime in, I think he is running 17 x 11 with 315/35-17 without coilovers on the rear. I am not going that wide in the front, so those who have can comment on that. I am looking at 235, 245 and 255 40 17 up front. Quick question, have you check to see if they will make the wheels in 4-lug bolt pattern?

I have sent them an email asking if they can make the wheel in a 4 lug or if not if they can leave it blank where I can have a machine shop do it for me.

If not it will give me my excuse to do the 5 lug swap I have been thinking about

I appreciate the pics Jay28. It does help a lot. Thats the best looking 2+2 I have ever seen. It gives me some hope now and helped finalize my decision to black out all of the window trim. I wasn't sure but after seeing your car I know now.

I just have two questions for you.

1. Where did you get the rear spoiler? It is awesome

2. Can you post a few more pictures of your car?

Thanks for everything.

Hi everyone,

i need help here, im planning to replace my stock suspensions with coilovers, & im not sure with the size of the strut outside diameter of the stock suspensions. Does anyone know whether its 51mm or 56mm? If not then i have to disassemble the suspensions & measure it.

Many Thanks.

Hi everyone,

i need help here, im planning to replace my stock suspensions with coilovers, & im not sure with the size of the strut outside diameter of the stock suspensions. Does anyone know whether its 51mm or 56mm? If not then i have to disassemble the suspensions & measure it.

Many Thanks.

Three things:

Hijack.

Didn't even say what car you have.

Search a bit first.

im not a fan of those wheels your looking at getting man....(im on dfwnissan) but for the price theyre going to be, you could easily get volks, custom panas, centerlines, quite a few companies really, and why so big? is the group buy 17x9 &9.5 not big enough? and they work with the regular flares or the bamf 1's

im not a fan of those wheels your looking at getting man....(im on dfwnissan) but for the price theyre going to be, you could easily get volks, custom panas, centerlines, quite a few companies really, and why so big? is the group buy 17x9 &9.5 not big enough? and they work with the regular flares or the bamf 1's

Hey Sticky, yeah I haven't been on DFWnissan for a while now.

I personally do like the wheels I am looking at. Where are you going to buy Volks at for a little over $350 each. Unlike the Panasports and Rota's but I can get them in the size and offset I want. Wheels and tires are a personal preference and I still to this day regret not going the route I really wanted with my 350Z, so to do it over again would be money wasted.

I want this car to be exactly the way I want it from the beginning and am willing to take as much time as needed to see it happen. Do I need them that Big? In a word no, but thats what I want and I don't want to compromise on this build.

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks.

Sorry i forgot, its a 1977 260z 2+2