HybridZ

MN47 Head with Stage 3 Cam

S130Z

So I am trying to get some more ponies out of my Z and i have decided to go with a stage 3 cam (460 lift / 260/270 durration) and pair it up with a MN47 head. I am hoping this wont cause my to upgrade my internals as well. I am going to try to post pics step by step of the process. Im doing this with a friend who is an ASE certified mechanic so I dont miss something that I might not know. I am trying to get the head from a man that rebuilds them. I found him on ebay and his store name is Datsun-Parts if anyone knows of him. I will get the cam, valve springs and lash pads from MSA. The entire parts cost should be around $750 with the gasket kit.

Any ideas or words of advice are welcome.

Do you have headers? Do you have to worry about emissions? F54 block?

If you have a f54 flat top and you don't have a stand alone ecu it will run rich at idle. I had similar set up w/headers at put it through emissions, it fail at idle REALLLY BAD, not even close. At 25mph passed with flying colors. (REALLLY BAD, my wife did not like stop lights much, kinda burned my eyes, did not stop me from driving it for years)

Headers and a cheap cold air intake (mine was a sewage drain elbow, silicone on one end and k/n filter on other, will allow the engine ingest more air as well as expel it, thus taking advantage of the higher lift and longer duration of that cam.

Also went with 2 1/2in. exught with a free flowing muffler, I don't know what happened to the cat?

In the end, that car was a kick in the butt to drive!!!!! Huge difference than stock with only a p79 head.

On HybridZ this would be considered a mild build just as a FYI.

If your not to worried, slap that stuff on and wing the lower end, if it needs replacing later you will find out later. The lower end is very tough.

My state does not give a $$$$ about emissions at all. I want to go with some headers and then run 2.5" strait piped. Its the stock 83 zx motor n/a. I am running a sort of cold air, i took the original air filter box out and just stuck a filter on the end of the tubing through the radiator brace.

I say go for it! How many miles are on it?

You can go with an after market ecu when you've studied up on them. That will inprove things even better when properly tuned. In the mean time you can enjoy driving it:)

Also run a conpression test before and after, just as a reference. Dose the car smoke at all?

The car has 180K on it and the compression is perfect, 178psi on each cylinder. I have looked into MS when I tried my turbo conversion but there where alot of things I would need that I didnt have the money for at the time. Im not sure what I would need to run MS for an N/A app. but if I go that road I will get my info and do it right. The car does not smoke.

And if anyone has a set of headers for sale I will be interested in a purchase.

This is a good street cam. Decent idle (a little lumpy). Should pull well up to 6000RPM. You can use the stock springs if they are within spec. A straight 2.5" exhaust will be really LOUD. Look t add at least one glass pack.

The head volume of the MN47 is around 39cc, so your CR will be close to 11:1, which is not so good for pump gas. You certainly get more power if you can keep it from detonating.

Pete

This is a good street cam. Decent idle (a little lumpy). Should pull well up to 6000RPM. You can use the stock springs if they are within spec. A straight 2.5" exhaust will be really LOUD. Look t add at least one glass pack.

The head volume of the MN47 is around 39cc, so your CR will be close to 11:1, which is not so good for pump gas. You certainly get more power if you can keep it from detonating.

Pete

This fellow nailed it!! If you want to save money on gas, try to keep your foot out of it.

Premeium gas and some octane additive will help.

You want to go above 6500 rpm and beat that engine within an inch of its life,,,,, you will want to do more than just springs.

Untill then enjoy the ride!!

Well that is what I was wondering, I read in another thread that the performance springs are for a lift greater than 460. And also that the datsun cams are really sensitive to spring preasure. I am asuming that the aftermarket springs are stiffer but wont damage a performance cam. What role do the performance springs take, higher rev capability?

Too high spring pressure can cause damage. There is a recent tread on a cam lobe that bit the dust. The thread covered problems with the lack of zinc in motor oil. I never had a problem with my stock springs on my p79.

The car saw 6500 all the time, however you have a n47, so not the same spring set up. Also the guy that had problems had a spray bar configuration, yours is internally oiled, correct?

(Stands on soapbox) and be SURE you check your wipe pattern of your cam to rocker arms!! MSA is "supposed" to supply the correct thickness lash pads with the cam kit. I have read these are supposed to be .170" Like a dumbazz, I didn't check wipe pattern - thinking "hey - it's a kit - it should have everything setup already".......NOT.

The lash pads actually mic'd out .005 thinner than stock (.120") pads, which threw my wipe pattern way toward the pivot, and after about 8000 miles, ground the cam into oblivion. I am taking excessive care this time around with my setup and have become completely anal about this subject - especially after eating a cam. Now that I've gone through the process a few times, it's not that bad - takes about an hour for all 12 valves, and will save yo' butt.

You will also note when you get your Schneider cam, there is a yellow card with a disclaimer on it stating that you need to use one of their recommended oils that has zinc in it. They list about 7 or so brands that are acceptable. I've been running Shell Rotella T diesel oil in my DD for well over 2 years now - and it's cheap too.

Some say the zinc is a "red herring", but I will go the extra mile just in case.

You really should read this thread and the links that acompany it. And make SURE your mn47 head and your cylinder block have not been decked. That is a sure fire way to have valve/piston contact.

The head is shaved a little under the limit for needing tower shims. BUT the rockers are resurfaced. I have not really heard of anything going wronge with these but I also havnt heard alot of people doing it. I dont think it could mess with the wipe pattern too much.

Also, I know with changing cam shafts you have a different timing curve. Is this cam going to give me a different timing setup?

Will 93 oct gas be fine with 11:1 or will i still need additives?(Its alot better than the crappy Cali gas)

Will 93 oct gas be fine with 11:1 or will i still need additives?(Its alot better than the crappy Cali gas)

If you drive it like the "where is the beef" lady, you will be fine.

May I suggest meth injection? If you want to push HP with comprssion you will pay for it at the pump,,, and the auto parts store.