HybridZ

question about Diesel motors in a S30

wigenOut-S30

My cousin is looking at a S30. But he is wanting to put a Diesel Maxima motor in it and run BIO fuel. I remember a while ago someone had something similar to this setup. His questions are.. what kind of gearing would you need to run since you cant really rev more then 3500 rpms.. Also has anyone done this and turbocharged the diesel motor?

I don't know where you get 3500rpms, the Nissan OHC is not a Detroit. The rev limit is not 3500rpms, it's closer to 4500 or 5400 as I recall!

I know Keith Bailey could do 112mph in his LD powered 240Z.

A stock tired car with a late ZX gearbox and 3.36 rear gear will turn 2000 rpms for 50mph, and by 3000rpms you will pretty much pass everybody!

So gearing is not an issue. I have not checked the pumpkin in the last Diesel Maxima I dissected, but I really should. I'm curious to see how they were geared. I know the automatics used a different sun cluster up front than gasoline cars...and for guys running N/A Petrol L-Engines with a four speed autobox that gear cluster makes for some interesting combinations with something like a 4.38 rear gear (considering the .67 overdrive in the slushbox!)

I found out some stuff on the LD28 regarding power, gearing, etc.

For INDUSTRIAL use, the engine as is the norm is rated at 2600rpms (very near peak torque, or dropping back to peak torque under load...like industrial engines do. This would mean for ideal cruising and peak efficiency you would gear for this speed.

For AUTOMOTIVE use, the engine has the following ratings:

92HP @ 4600 rpms

125 ft-lbs @ 2400 rpms

The Maxima Wagon with a Manual 5 Speed to 6-82 came with a 3.545 Rear Gear.

The Maxima Wagon with 4-Speed Autobox to 6-82 came with a 3.36 Rear Gear.

The Maxima Wagon with 4-Speed Autobox 7-82 onward came with a 3.70 Rear Gear.

This would mesh nicely with my testing on the 260, as the rear gearing is a 3.7, and my max speed would be 4750rpms with the late ZX Gearbox in there...coinciding nicely with Keith Bailey's Claim of 112mph 'all in' with the diesel---the 92HP would be near that point with the 3.9 he had (My recollection on his gearing may be faulty, but it did well on the Auto-X course!)

So I'm thinking the 3.7 may be an near "OEM setup" as far as gearing goes with a late ZX transmission, and if you are running higher speeds then a 3.545 or even 3.36 rear gear would keep you in that high 30mpg / low 40mpg range similar to a Maxima when new (42/38 as I recall).

Figured I'd post this in the spirit of completeness. Plus I found the LD Water Pump is rated at 30 5/8 GPM @ 3400 rpm pump speed...which I will add to another thread on L28 Turbo Cooling issues...