HybridZ

Hit a Snag in my Tokico Install

Challenger

Damn those stitches are going in every direction...well done! Gives me shivers looking at it.

Sorry it happened, take care!

I agree with Jon...Ive swung mine out like that many many times..works great! Everything is tight and connected to something so its easy to work on.

Well I got back to late last week, with some help from my dad, I have all the suspension off the car. Steering knuckles, all 4 top spring perches, swaybar mounts and front control arms were all cleaned and painted black. Just got the rear control arms and spindles apart, all the shocks and springs are out and ready for new parts.

As for new parts, Ive got tie rod ends, tokico springs and struts, bump steer spacers, ball joints, and spindles pins in the mail...

Most is coming tomorrow so I can make a little more progress. Everything is looking good, except my finger... (get stiches out monday hopefully)

I sliced my finger similar to that when I as in grade school (many many moons ago) and caught the main nerve, still don't have much feeling in my right index finger tip.

I also tried to cut the middle finger off of my right hand about 15 years ago, had to have reconstructive surgery in the Deaconess emergency room, lots of fun. Fortunately the bone wasn't broken but the main tendon was cut. It's a really weird feeling when the Dr. says "Ok, relax you muscle", grabs the tendon with forceps and pulls it. Anyway I watched him sew up the tendon together then put wire stitches (not staples) in my skin to close it up. Wore a cast for 2 weeks then had the stitches out which hurt worse than the original injury, then wore another cast for 6 more weeks (I hate casts).

I second Jon's idea of how to swap out the strut insert, I've done mine a couple times that way. When it comes time to do the bushings be ready to spend some time as the spindle pins can be a real bear to get out, sounds like you ordered news ones which means you can beat the old ones out without worrying about damaging them. Getting the new ones in can also be a chore though. I used a brake cylinder hone to clean the corrosion out of the pin bore so they would go in easier. A spindle pin puller comes in real handy for both phases of the process.

Wheelman

IMG_2010.JPG

Well here is how it sits.. Ive been painting some of the old parts and its all come out really nice!! Ill post pics when all the parts have arrived.

Ive also decided that Ill be reassembling it for my senior project. I was originally going to put in a turbo motor but Im having to sell some of my turbo parts to finish the suspension. :( And it also was going to be kind of stressful having to do it so quickly. I didnt want to rush into it and not have what I want in a motor.

For my project Ill be showing what Im replacing, why, and whats the benefit of each of them. Showing where they go and what their purpose is there, and then finally putting it together. After that Ill comment on any improvements and what part I thought made a certain improvement.

I also might need to interview a few people since HBZ is my primary (really only) resource, other than the FSM which helps some...

Or go to the local parts store and grab a brake cylinder hone, it'll cost about $15.00 and you can use it in a standard electric drill. Just don't take to much off when you hone the bores out and you'll be fine, makes for a very nice finish inside the bore. Using some anti-seize when you reassemble will make it easier to get apart later on.

Edit: The other thing I did was remove the yellow (Zinc Chromate I think) coating from the spidle pin before installation. Seemed to help make for a better fit.

Wheelman