HybridZ

new diferential?

Guest Anonymous

As kcw6fs mentioned, it's good to stout power levels. The UJ halfshafts can be a weak link that a few here have exposed. You can run 280ZXT CV shafts as an upgrade, noone's blown them up yet that I'm aware of. More info on them in 'search' or on my webpage listed below.

You'll likely be interested in a posi setup which is usually a 4/87 to 12/89 300ZXT clutch posi diff (except the ivory/white SE/SS model which is viscous and not a bolt in affair) or a quaiffe posi setup. Some quaiffe info on my page.

quote:

Originally posted by rogeliogarza78280z:

ok so i don't need it but it would be better ???

By 'new' do you mean a new r200 or a ford 9" or....by 'better' do you mean improved traction?/reduced maintenance/improved gearing or...their's a few here running various rear diff setups. Many of us have different goals/desires to fulfill with parts swaps and letting us know yours can help our feedback. 500hp for 1320 only or daily or .......

Guest Anonymous

ok look i was gonna put a 350 in there and my brother said i needed to put a different one because the one it has ins't strong or good enough i dunno what he ment

he said the engine was too much for the differential

IF it's an R200 (I think some or all automatic trans 280Z's had R180s) and the motor is not REALLY built up (400+ ft lbs ought to be fine) and you don't put 10 inch slicks on the car and weld the spider gears, you should be fine.

I'd not try an R180 though.

There are lots of healthy V8Zs running around with open R200s with little or no problems. It's a pretty health diff for such a small car.

That's where you will need to compare a few Z cars or go to the junkyard. The R180 is more slender (elongated up & down) than the R200. The R200 is almost octagonal in back. Also, some of the guys' sites here have pics with the differences. The LSD units have a finned rear cover that is unlike any of the non LSD units.

Davy

Hi Mike,

I've made 30 or 40 passes with my R180 3.54

and have had no problems as of yet.

Also just welded the spider gears. (Thanks TimZ!)

When we tore it apart to weld is was very clean.

Very little slop.

I know at some piont it will go. Hopefully later than sooner. But at least with my ~280HP it's holding up.

I think a lot of it's survival has to be with the 700R4. If I had a T56 and slamed gears it I'm sure would not last long.

Dave

ProZak,

After I welded Dave's diff I took it for a quick spin around the block. Dave seems to be able to put up with it, but it would definitely drive me absolutely bonkers. Squeeling the tires at every turn, and pushing through the corners! It does look cool though when he paints double black lines on the road (at almost every intersection I bet icon_biggrin.gif haha).

If you have a spare, weld it up and try it, you can always go back, swapping them (diffs) is a pretty painless excercise.

Tim

yeah my buddy has a welded r180 in his stock 240z, and he whips doughnuts tighter than my v8 car! just skkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkert!!!!! two leg action everywhere with that thing, its tough stuff, i may still do it for kicks, only takes about an hour and a half to swap diffs, once i deal with this trans x member i discovered to be shattered when i was fixing my shift rods!!! b_hand.gif fo' speed!

Ya it's fun but a PITA, but I don't mind.

It's not my daily driver. Hooks up tons better!

Does push bad in corners, need to add camber to the fronts?

Had a sheriff behind me at a major intersection the other day as I was waiting to make a left turn, once i went it's like- churp-churp-churp-churp-churp.. hehe

He looked and smiled as he passed me..

Was funny. Ya get some goofy looks from pedestrians crossing the street.

Dave