HybridZ

shining valve covers

youngblood

You have to polish it. They call them polished valve covers. Msa, a member here, and a few on ebay sell them on an exchange basis. Or you can just do it yourself.

Also use capitalization and "dose" isnt a word *in that context*. Take a minute to write posts so you dont sound like an idiot.

save yourself a lot of time and get the cheapest drill press you can (i got one for 29 bucks), and chuck various wire wheels and polishing sponges in there and it will go super quick.

I did the entire front side of my L28 valve cover to the point where it started to look somewhat polished in about 1 hour. The only problem was that my cover has hairline cracks in it or corrosion cracks of some sort, so I stopped (since the car is coming apart).

Don't use pressure and axial force on a good drill press, unless you like having one that doesn't drill straight after.

Hey there whats up guys. saw this post and thought maybe some of you would rather me do the work and make it look a hell of alot better in the process :) i can get your covers and polish them. and NO i do not require CORES. unless you want to send them to me for free :P hahaha. YOU SHIP ME YOUR COVER. i do ma "THANG" and i shipp it right back. looking like THIS

0809081934.jpg

0809081952.jpg

0809081953.jpg

001.jpg

PM me if interested. L28's go for $86.85 SHIPPED to anywhere in the UNITED STATES. international.. haven't really done that but if buyer will pay extra shipping charges im sure something COULD be arranged.

What about turbo valve covers?
id charge the same. altough i know they will be a liiiitle harder. cuz of the valleys and grooves.

hmm... normally i dont give advice that can hurt my work... but heck. il say this much. sand it down with watersandpaper of the finest you can get a hold of. so you get rid of the imperfections, oil residue thats stuck to the cover through out the years, power wash it, and finish it off with MOTHERS MAG. ALUM POLISHER CREAM. itl have a nice shine. highly recomend mothers.....

BUT..

i can guarantee it whont look NOWHERE near my work :P hahahah :icon54: try it out broskiez... polish one as much as you can. and get one done by me and take a picture of them together and notice the difference hehe :)

Superduner - Nice work!! VERY nice!! $86 shipped? You are crazy, shipping is what $20 (by the time you bubble wrap, box and drop them off), and at a scrap yard these are usually $7 so you are making less than $60? Wow...that is peanuts....you are a better man that me!

I have polished many many L28 valve covers and it usually takes me about 4hours per cover. Here is my last one:

287738091.jpg

Yasin

Greatk work :) im jelous honestly .... haha well in all honesty im getting sort of irritated at the fact many honda peeps spend all kinds of money just to gain 5 hp on their civics. and even then they say WE (nissan guys) are SHISTY aka greedy and it bothers me enough to have to admit that in reality. WE ARE :P so im taking a stand and saying F-THAT! if i will make what... $10 off each piece.... but help other nissan guys make their rides look better. the outcome is mroe nissan rides looking a hell of a lot better than other brands. and some carne asada burritos for lunch for me. :P

THANX for the + feedback guys. much apreshiated. and YES! i had practicly all polished aluminum engine. noticed i said ALUMINUM.. not CHROME... " JUST IMAGINE HAVING THE SHINE OF CHROME UNDER YOUR HOOD WITHOUT AL THE EXTRA WEIGHT, LET ALONE THE CHROME TURNING YELLOWISH BECAUSE OF THE HEAD" .... sounds nice huh ;) i just dont do covers. i do other parts too. if you can ship it.. i can polish it haha :P and of coarse... if you can PAY for it :D

I'm just curious... My valve cover has some pitting and corrosion, but I want to get rid of it and have the cover looking at least close to polished... what do you guys recommend?

I bought some 50, 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1200, and 1500 grit aluminum oxide sheets in both standard and wet applications.... what should i start with to get the pitting out. I'd say they're about 0.25 mm deep pits, if that. I just can't polish ontop of them though.