HybridZ

VQ questions

greygears

I’ve read where some people have put VQ35DE Lower intake manifolds on their VQ30DE blocks, and the Maxima boys are putting VQ30DE heads on top of VQ35DE blocks. To me, this means the VQ30 and the VQ35 blocks have the sane deck height. Is this correct? Also, if you want to use a VQ engine in a rear wheel drive set-up with a manual transmission, your only choice is the 350Z 6 speed. I understand that the 6 speed is pretty much junk, until the 2006 model. A 2006 6 speed will probably cost you more than a VQ35DE engine. Plus it’s a huge overly complicated heavy gearbox, and its strength may still be in question. And I don’t feel a 6 speed is necessary behind a torquey motor like the VQ, if you stuff it in a light car. The strongest 5 speed gearbox that Nissan has made so far is the Z32 5 speed (the RS5R30A) which are plentiful and at a reasonable cost. But of course, it won’t bolt up to a VQ engine. Someone in this forum suggested that the front half of VQ33 4X4 gearbox case may bolt up to the Z32 box. Can any one confirm this? Dose any one make a adapter, like the slick set-up I see for a Z32 to a L28, to mount a Z32 to a VQ? :confused:

Ok first the Z33 6 speed box is a good box most high end turbo setups all have the basic 6 speed and it holds . Second the 6 th gear is useally useed on modern cars to have a decent higway gas milleage while cruising . Third what i heard is the maxima guys use VQ35 heads on VQ30 bloc not the other way around . And fourht search the NICO forum and youlll find more answer then here i think , since this swap isnt very popular yet and their is just a handfull of members doing it .

Good luck and i didnt mean to offensive if you see it that way then im sorry .

You probably were lead to believe the 6 speed is junk due to the fact that the third gear syncro's went out in the 2003 cars. These were all recalled by Nissan and fixed...

As for strength... I personally know several people with OVER 500whp that drive the snot out of their cars daily with no tranny problems. You will need forged pistons and a couple big turbos before you can blow the transmission. There are people online with much more power then that with apparently no issues. i havent weighted them but ive had them side by side the the z32 box is not a lightweight!! They are both large transmissions.

The 6 speed box has a great feel to it as well, it shifts nice and crisp (with very short throws) and is very quiet. I also favor the close ratio 6 speed that it is. The 6th gear is not a super low gear its more like 5th gear in most cars. Check out the gear ratios:

Z33 6 spd:

1: 3.794:1

2: 2.324:1

3: 1.624:1

4: 1.271:1

5: 1.000:1

6: 0.794:1

Z32 5 spd:

1: 3.214:1

2: 1.925:1

3: 1.302:1

4: 1.000:1

5: 0.752:1

People but the 30 heads on the 35 block so that they don't have to use the 350z wiring and ecu. It eliminates the VVT and yada yada, bottom line they don't make as much power...basically the cheap and easy way to get the motor running and not taking full advantage of what is there. I think you will find your best deal if you go to a wrecking yard and get the whole drivetrain as a package. You can get pretty much everything you need for under 5 grand. I am no expert though, I would definitly take wedge's advice and check out the nico board there is a ton of info there.

Hey guys, thanks for the in-puts! I feel better about the 6 speed now. Your right 240hoke, I was basing my concerns about the 6 speed on the early model syncro problems, I didn’t know Nissan had recalled them. And your right again, the Z32 box is big & heavy also! I have one sitting on my shop floor as we speak, and the thing has got to weight 120 pounds! Or at least that’s what my back keeps telling me. I’m afraid that thing is going to be a light press fit in my 70’ 240Z. I have a 280ZX tub sitting in my back yard, and I’m seriously considering cutting out the transmission tunnel and splicing it into the 240 (I love my plasma cutter!) to get some more room. I’ll be bolting it up to the VG30DE that’s been hanging off my engine stand the last couple of years. I became interested in the VQ motors when I found out they weigh about 120 pounds less than the VG30DE! Lighter is always better! I just got through rebuilding and modifying the Z32 box, It now has a .862 fifth gear out of a 4X4 truck, and a FSR30A (Nissan VG30I truck) two wheel drive tail shaft housing and shifter. The plan is to push the VG30DE as far back as possible, even to the point of cutting a couple of holes in the firewall to make room for the VVT solenoids to gain another inch. This will put the shifter about 1.5†ahead of the stock hole. I was hoping for an easy way to adapt my fresh Z32 box to a VQ, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. I got to go with what I got, I can’t afford to change horses in the middle of the stream. Oh, and Wedge, no offence taken. I quit getting “offended†or “pissed off†about things years ago, and the quality of my life is much better now.

Second the 6 th gear is useally useed on modern cars to have a decent higway gas milleage while cruising

This is true when you are talking about cars with transmissions like the T-56 in it but this is not true for the Nissan 6speed. If the gear ratios that 240hoke posted are correct you will actually be turning fewer revs with a Z32 5speed in 5th than with the 6speed in 6th. They use the 6speed just as greygears said, to have a gear advantage to make up for the lower power car. The T56 has a double overdrive, something like a .75 in 5th and a .50 in 6th. Thats why they can run at 1200RPM when doing 80 on the highway.

Actually, A stock 350Z running a 26.6" tire (245/45-18) a stock 3.54 diff. Raito, and in its .794 6th gear, would be turning about 2850 RPM at 80 MPH. Still loafing along for a 3500cc motor. I put the .862 5th gear in my Z32 box for performance reasons. Swinging a 25" tire with 3.90 diff raito, will give me 133 MPH in 4th gear and 154mph in 5th gear at 7000 rpm. YEE-HA! White knuckles in a 2300 pound Z!!

There are choices and the 6 speed is a good gearbox but the units that are available cheap are usually bad. The Z32 box is far better.

I raced (circuit racing) the 6 speed and it is not a cooperative unit depending on your application.

If you have a Z32 gear box which I am sure everyone agree's is a solid unit there is an adaptor available (SHAMELESS PLUG) to bolt it to the VQ.

AND, We also have a diagram available to wire in the stock ECU and NATS to the 300zx and 240SX.

:icon14:

Drew

My mistake. I was thinking of how the Z32 tranny to L-motor adapter that 240hoke makes was made for Z32 NA bellhousings (since the NA and Turbo bellhousings differ in starter location) and that adapter requires cutting the bellhousing.

Does your adapter require any modification to the bellhousing for the adapter?

Guest VangVQ35DE

i need help deciding which set up i should go with. a single turbo or twin turbo? is there any cheap turbo kit website you know. which brand or make i should go with. thank you

• 2 weeks later...

no machining required, depending on your application the shifter linkage and bracket will have to be modified (we do that)

For the 350Z swap a cut in the stock starter position is required the small opening on the side of the tranny.

Yes there are two dowel locations..

:icon15:

Drew

so ♥♥♥♥ has to be cut with this addapter kit? what all has to be done(fabing) to get a vq running successfully in a z32? and if you know, would the vq37 bolt with this adapter just like the vq35?

thanks

keith

I have done a few now and the headache with this swap is the stock ECU/ immobilzer system.. I strongly suggest a Haltech Platinum.

If you take our kit there is no fabricating to be done. The little opening for the stock starter on a stock Z32 tranny needs to be cut.

I have not had access to the VQ37 yet so I do not know. I personnally am waiting for a GTR smash and will skip right to that development for the Z and G cars and perhaps a R34 swap. Haltech are almost finished with the system for the GTR.

In passing i think the bell rear of the VQ35 and 37 are the same because they share the same recent gear box.

Did I help?