HybridZ

Gearbox Bellhousing Modifications, FS5W71B

kiwi303

I brought the gearbox that came with my RHD 280Z fairlady (280ZX stateside) back to the workshop from the car in the shed at the far end of the farm, however looking at it the starter motor bulge in the belhousing has obviously been welded in rather than cast in place. It's now in a 4 o'clock position on the front of the bellhousing, placing it on the passenger side of the car, (driver side in the states). That called for a bit of looking around since I was sure that the stock position was on the driver side (passenger side...)

I found THIS:

old_motor.jpg

notice the starter on the right side of the motor... 9 o'clock position.

I'll take some photos and load them up, but does anyone know what my tranny, which looks identical to a FS5W71B, has been modified to fit?

Maybe I have seen one other box setup like this here in NZ too. It was for a 351 V8 conversion using an adaptor plate between the Ford V8 and the datsun box. Or it might be a different box ie FJ20 (not sure never seen an FJ20 box before....maybe a search of trademe will show a pic). The FJ20 box was often used here in NZ for 240z/260z race cars back in the day as they were later model (ie almost the last of the B boxes) and depending on the car the box came from sometimes had good ratios. However most just swap on the L6 bellhousing onto the FJ20 box.

LOL!

"Atlas Shrugs!"

I would do that to transport A12 and A15 Engine/Trans assemblies. Having a small engine does have advantages!

My wife would freak when she saw me do that. LOL

No help, but it's funny, I couldn't resist!

Maybe I have seen one other box setup like this here in NZ too. It was for a 351 V8 conversion using an adaptor plate between the Ford V8 and the datsun box.

Umm... that might be it... I got the box, definately a FS5W71B from all the pics on the net and HybridZ, but the car as posted on Zclub, is set up with a Twin pipe V8 layout with connector tube between the two pipes just back of the tranny/driveshaft join point.

The car also came with a number of 302 SBF pistons and a BIG air cleaner casing with a "4 barrel" decal in it.

So the previous owner may have been planning to use the fairlady box on his 302 conversion.

I'll have some pics later today. :D

that doesn't even look like he's holding it well enough to support it. And even so, I would never have it that close, on my back, with a glossy oil pan near a good condition car of any sort. 300 lbs crashing 6 feet to a car is like driving into people jumping off the Dufferin bridge.

And did I forget to mention that there is an obvious Photoshop on the sign just above the bell housing too?

Atlas didn't use come-alongs and chains tied to roof trusses and digital technology to make it look like he actually did work. :icon55:

lol

Heres the pics of my gearbox... you can clearly see where the starter bump has been shifted over to the other side.

2845444604_2ecf55caa0_o.jpg

A bottom view

2845444596_ae0abc9702_o.jpg

Heres a pic from trademe, the NZ equivalent of ebay, showing a FS5W71B without any modifications... quite a lot cleaner :D The guy selling this is a member of Zclub.co.nz

75362750_full.jpg

So, if it's now a V8 G-box, and I get an adapter plate, how hot a 302 can I run before having to shop for a new box? In all the reading I've done here on Hybrids, I haven't run across a post or thread that give the typical breaking strains of the various boxes...

Sure theres statements than such-and-such a box is stronger than that one over there, and others talking about swapping out their boxes as they upgrade.

But theres nothing that says that a FS5W71B with break at x HP and y Ft/Lb, and a FS5W71C will break at x+A Hp and y+B Ft/Lb

I gather from discussions on blown trannys, taken with other posts about their engine upgrades that the FS5W71B box will manage 250Hp, but break between that point and 300Hp when driven in an exciting manner.

Can anyone give a hard figure of the Do-Not-Exceed HP for a FS5W71B box to keep engine tunes under?