HybridZ

HELP!!!anyone heard of a 200D GM auto trans.??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey I got a dilemna I see this ad for a 700R4 trans for $100. The fellow says there was a mistake in the ad and the trans is a 200R4. I place a Hybrid drive train post asking advice on the 200R4. No experts out there in cyber land to answer my questions in the drive train forum. I did a little research and found the 200R4 is what I am looking for. I call the seller again today and he tells me the GM trans (with TORQUE CONVERTER) is a 200 D with no over drive. I look up "200 D" on the internet and get some mumble-jumble about Greek marriage ceremonies. This seller took the trans on a labor/trade and does not really have a clue.I really do not know Jack Diddly about GM. Is there a GM 200D trans??? I think I can now recognize a 200R4 by the oil pan sump at the rear.

I am running the 200r not the r4 and it holds pretty well but it has been cracked open ond redone. It is fine for now but long term the 700r4 will be fully built and installed in place for highway travel. It is a good trans but will succumb to hp fatigue sooner than later from what I know of it. b_hand.gif

Guest Anonymous

Drew Z ..... THERE IS a 200R4 and a 700R4 with the numeral 4 designating OVERDRIVE. This seller is telling me that this 200D is not an overdrive unit. Is your 200 overdrive or not???

Guest Anonymous

A 200C 3 speed automatic was produced in the 80"s and I thought I would be closing in on a hot deal for an overdrive GM automatic transmission. I would like to have a 200R4 (or a 2004R or an overdrive GM automatic). The 200R4 has the gearing I want and is not the "weaker sister" to the 700R4

i've never heard of a 200d transmission. gm has had 4 different 3 speed trannies: th350, th375, th400, and 3L80. gm has had the following 4-speed (4th being o/d) trannies: 200-4r, 700-r4, 4L60, 4L60-E, 4L80, and 4L80-E.

and nion is right: it is actually "200-4r", not "200-r4". a lot of people usually say 200-r4 because of the better known 700-r4. i'm not sure why gm named them this way, though. the 200-4r was used on early 3rd generation f-bodies (camaros and firebirds), grand nationals, and a few other cars.

the grand national had the most desirable 200-4r as it was a bit more stout and could handle more power than the ones that came in other cars. it was considered a heavy duty 200-4r.

they can be used with sbc's and there are a few members of this forum that are using them effectively. there are several companies that build them for handling 500 hp and beyond.

good sites for 200-4r's:

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index2.htm

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/200-4R.htm

http://www.tpiperformance.com/200r4.html

another option, but pricey, is the gear vendors under/overdrive unit. info for that is here:

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

this can be used with th350's to make a six speed setup. you can also use these with an overdrive to make an eight-speed setup. cool stuff, but pricey ( around $2200 ).

most of the info posted so far here is correct. the 200 I think you are refering to is a 200 metric unit that was placed behind most of the buicks with chevy engines(any body remember that class action)these are very weak and 3 speeds the grand national 200 and all other 200 overdrives is in the valve body they are very strong stock but can be made indesrtuctable. PS I work in a high performance tranny shop please feel free to ask any tech Q's you may have. Keith

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info , Fellows. I am still looking for an overdrive automatic. I have a 700R4 but it is in a junker old 82 Chev van that someone shoe horned in a 700R4 and SBC to replace a turb 350 and connected the 700R4 to a 3 speed column shift.I cannot get it to shift right much less find reverse every time.The (tweeker) mechanic also installed what appears to be a (strong) 350 SBC with 4bbl carb. A renter abandoned the van and I got possesion.

mmmmm.....denny I am running a 350 with a 292 510 cam Dart big valve heads dual TBI injection 10.5 to 1 comp. I have 2 years of hard driving and not even a slip shift. I don't advise u skip a 700 for the 200 but the 200 does hold if the temp is kept down. I am still going 700r4 but the fresh 200 I got is fine and holding strong. GENERALLY they were weak but with proper care..... 2thumbs.gif for now!!

Guest Anonymous

Apparently, this fellow has a 200C (metric) for sale which I am definitely not interested in at any price.Two days ago I did not know much about GM automatic transmisssions. Today, with little help from fellows on Hybrid Z,,, I know at least to keep myself from making a mistake and purchasing a 200C (metric). I got a lot of new words in my vocabulary too.