HybridZ

Differential Going Out???

Miles

Just purchased a 72 240Z in all stock condition. Everything on the car works except for a clunking sound when sifting or reversing. I thought this might be the front diff mount. I jacked up the car on jackstands. Inspection of the front diff mount shows that it is not torn and I could only slightly move it with a long screw driver. I then checked for play in the drive shaft. Only very little play when turning the drive shaft back and forth. Next I put the car in gear and rotated the the right and left rear wheel back and forth. There is a lot of free play when turning the wheel back and forth. Is time to replace the rear end? icon_confused.gif

Found the problem. Looks like the stub axles are worn and will have to be replaced. Local recycler says its' easier to replace the whole stub axle and strut assembly than to replace the stub axle due to problems with getting the lock nut off of the stub axle. Has anyone in the Forum replaced stub axles?

Thanks

Miles

True, it probably is easier, and the whole strut assembly is easy for them to take off - probably not much difference in price. Just swap out the cartridge and spring from yours to keep everything the same.

Taking off the nut is a pain. You have to unpeen the nut or grind the peened area away with a dremel or die grinder before loosening it. And getting it loose is often quite difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest triple_threat311

Oh man, that nut was the hardest thing in the world for me to get off. it took me two days to do it and I had about every single air tool in the shop sitting next to me. What finally did it was the air gun after about took like 10 minutes to get it off. man after that I couldn't hear for a week, since my head was under the wheelwell and real close to the gun. Bad thing was I messed up the threads on the axel and I need to tap them again. also had to get new locknuts. have fun

anthony