HybridZ

3.0 944?

clsatt

I don't really want to spend thousands to get this to work. I was just hoping to find out if it's possible. if it was, it could be a long, long, long term project. I guess it's back to the drawing board... I guess half baked backyard mechanic Frankenstein builds don't really get drawn out first... I'll come up with something. thanks for humoring me in the mean time.

chris

You're thinking of all possible engine swaps, and that's a good thing. I mentally explored the possibility of a Porsche "water cooler" I-4 swap too.

1. The engine and transaxle (it's considered a transaxle, not a transmission, because it integrates the transmission and rear axle into one unit) are joined by what's called a torque tube. This is a complex assembly with a rigid outer tube and a driveshaft turning inside of it. VERY expensive to rebuild.

2. The Porsche engine is very expensive to buy in the first place (initial investment), then they need frequent maintenance such as timing belts and balance shaft belts about every 30,000 miles, if I remember right. Throw in water pump replacement, cam seal and crank seal replacement, clutch jobs, etc., etc.

3. I seems you COULD get someone to help you design an adapter to make "some other" transmission bolt to the back of the Porsche I-4 (maybe Advance Adapters out in California), then run a driveshaft back to your Datsun diff.

I think it's doable, but it would sort of turn a reliable, low maintenance, easy-to-live-with sports car into something of a mainteance nightmare. On the other hand, it would run like a scalded cat when you got it all put together!