HybridZ

3.0 944?

clsatt

there was a 3 liter and, I believe, a 2.8. I was wondering in particular about the 3 liter because it seems to have physically larger dimentions, not just stroked out.

http://www.autometricsmotorsports.com/images/cars/ron/ron_g50.jpg

it just seems like it could be done to me. the axles on the z would have to be modified/custom made to bolt up. the tank would have to move back. custom mounts.

the reason it interests me; 3 liter 4 cylinder = torque. I know it's no v8, I'm just burned out on it. one can only eat mac and cheese or hear about eating mac and cheese for so long. try talking to someone that has only eaten mac and cheese for thirty years...thats how I feel about v8s in Zs. it works, it's great, its proven, the torque, the power, the parts are everywhere, their cheap. fine. have you ever had caviar? yeah it tastes like salt and it costs 45 bucks for a dollop,but thats what I want to see in my z, I want caviar under the hood.

sorry...

I have some serious pent up frustration...

oh, and with the engine trans layout it should have really good ballance. just a thought.

chris

I think your in uncharted territory here. That being said I hope you can make it happen! Do you have a specific 3 liter Porsche engine in mind? Didn't some have balance shafts? Get the measuring tape out and see what fits and where the problem areas are. Obvoiusly the transfer case is an issue, but looking at that picture it might just be do able.:2thumbs:

Oh and lookng at your avatar I'm assuming you are talking about putting thins in an S30, right?

I don't have an engine yet, nor can I afford one right now. I'm just planning ahead and hoping to get everyones thoughts on the subject. research and whatnot. and yeah, an s30. I have a 1970 with a good straight body but the engine sounds like it's been smokeing cigaretts for 40 some od years. hacking coughing stuff comes up every now and again. its gross

I might fix the engine, I might not. I'm really just feeling out different possibilities. I want it to be kind of a period correct racer but at the same time, I'm not opposed to going with an engine transplant...for the right engine.

oh, and with the engine trans layout it should have really good ballance. just a thought.

The engine would have to be moved to far forward to maintain have that balance. Don't confuse balance and lightness. and another thing you would have to consider is that fact that you would have to make the trans tunnel larger in the rear and IIRC there was no driveline to "extend" so you would be able to move the engine forward. the trans connected to the engine through a pare of U joints. and to have it fit, you would have to maintain the 944 wheelbase.

I think thats why you don't see very (if at all) 944 engine swaps.

I get that it has a shaft that runs from front to rear, I understand that it would be a hurdle. what I don't understand is why it would be a big deal for the engine to sit between the front wheels as opposed to against the firewall. and as for the "track", I could see the rear wheels needing to be pushed further away from the transmission to adapt to the new axle geometry. but that might not even be the case. I don't want anyone upset about this, I'm just brainstorming. if I'm on to something, fantastic. if I'm off tell me where. I feel like this engine/trans/diff setup should be an option, be it out of a porsche or a vette.

I don't think you understood me in my last post. There is no drive line in a 944

in order for this to fit, the engine would have to pretty much sit inside the car. I'm sure you can somehow fit a different transmission, but I'm sure that you would have to modify the bellhousing to have it fit on the engine. And porsche parts are expensive, even for the lower class porsches

image001.jpg

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/5000/5000.asp

Wow....

All I have to say is: IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. :D

clsatt: do want to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and hundreds upon hundreds of hours to make this work??? And all the while you could have spent that money and time more wisely. If that's what you want, get to work.

Wow....

All I have to say is: IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. :D

clsatt: do want to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and hundreds upon hundreds of hours to make this work??? And all the while you could have spent that money and time more wisely. If that's what you want, get to work.

Wow, you're late.

I think this question has pretty much been answered.