HybridZ

5.3L Questions

$200?

why so cheap? Need a head? what happened to it?

If the internals are good then you have a helluva deal IMO on your hands.

the intake can be swapped for one of many that will fit for sure. you will also need the camaro oil pan if i remember correctly.

well the motor came from huricane katrina and was thought to have water damage well the guy pulled the heads off and dropped one of them:frown: well come to find out the engine had no rust or even a sign of water in it. and well long story short hes moving and nedds to sell it so im getting it. and well i figured now that i have logged over 40,000 miles on the z with it,s tune port :twisted:i figured this would be the best use of the ls series motor :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...
I think the easiest way to swap the LS1 intake is to also swap the water pump. I think the 5.3 water pump hits the LS1 TB. It has been a while since I swapped the parts, but I swapped all of them including accesories from the LS1.

2x

If you are saving some money and sticking with the truck accessories make sure to check out an Area 51 relocation bracket. Otherwise the pulley will be right in the way of the intake.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to make your own alternator bracket you should be able to place it where ever you'd like. Otherwise I'd say mock everything up and make sure the alternator and intake will clear your hood line. With this method there is a chance you may have needed to go with an LS based serpentine setup from either a vette or f-body anyways meaning more $$.

$200?

why so cheap? Need a head? what happened to it?

If the internals are good then you have a helluva deal IMO on your hands.

That's the going cost of the 5.3's these days. They're heavier than LS1's by about 65lbs, and smaller displacement by 0.4L, and the cost of an LS1 is dropping every day, so these engines are not to desirable to those that want big NA power.

Nice thing is they're an iron block, and the amount of money you save by getting a complete engine for $200-400 leaves plenty of turbo $$ to put to shame all those other people out there who wouldn't be able to stand having a non-all-aluminum gen3/4 engine under their hood! :)

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE be careful of the Katrina engine. My gf and her family was in Katrina and they're all racers. Consequently they have quite a few race motors that were ruined that DID NOT GO UNDER WATER.

I asked her dad about your motor, and it's possible that it may be okay...BUT before you turn it over, you're going to want to flush it with fresh oil to be sure first.

You're gonna want to fill it and turn it over manually at the crank first. Then empty it, refill it w/ more fresh oil and THEN turn it over from the key without the fuel lines a few more times. After that, if the motor feels and sounds like it's not gonna seize up, empty it a third time, refill it with more fresh oil again before you finally put fuel and spark into it.

It sounds like a P.I.T.A., I know. But those aren't my words...that comes from an engine builder that went through Katrina. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!:-D

• 1 year later...

Another run at the top...

I have an LS1 intake/rails/injectors on my 6.0 truck motor using the truck accessories. I had to do some cutting of the alternator bracket, ditched the idler, and ran a '97 Corvette water pump with the bolt on (not pressed on) pulley, spaced it out about .75" and everything was good to go.

Edited by Cable

In my Z, I am running a 5.3 long block with LS6 intake, You need the LS1 balancer, water pump, alternator and alternator bracket. The 5.3 block is missing a threaded hole on the front where the alternator bracket bolts onto, but you can make it work. pretty much everything else bolts over directly. I picked up the 5.3 long block for my Z for 350$ came with some stuff, but all I am using on it is the short block. Hell, mine even had water in a few of the cylinders when I popped the heads off. And now its taking a hell of a beating with boost on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a victor jr and a holley carb and it fits under the stock hood. I am also using all truck accessories. just had to trim the top of the alternator.

Got a pic of the alternator with the trimming?

Thanks!!

Got a pic of the alternator with the trimming?

Thanks!!

Well, it is my clearance issue now, which you were kind enough to address in another thread ;) The hood does close, however it rubs on the top of the alternator. Given the movement of the engine with revs, I am still deciding which method I want to use to lower it.